LBZ: My Motor Build thread (long winded start)

BHoward6.6

West Coast
Feb 9, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA
My motor build thread.
I would like to start this story where a story should be started.............the beginning.

1/14/2012 I broke my crank ~ http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37407 ~

1/25/2012 I see cuminstrkmydmax's motor for sale add and make contact. We spoke on the phone at length. He did say there was a clicking sound, could be the motor but thought it was the flex-plate, TC or trans.
We agree to ship the motor directly to SoCal Diesel.

1/27/2012 I Fed-Ex'ed a check, cuminstrkmydmax received it 1/30 and deposited it 1/31.

2/10/2012 The money is now in cuminstrkmydmax's bank.

2/14/2012 The motor is picked up by the shipper.

2/20/2012 The motor is received at SoCal Diesel.

When Guy gets the motor he takes some pictures. We talk for a bit, he says the motor looks pretty weathered. I look at the picks and ask if it came with a SoCal flex-plate, he said no it came with a stock flex-plate.
I got a good deal on a aftermarket flex-plate, brought that to Guy, got the stock flex-plate, gave it to a friend to drop of at MikeL's (just so Mike can have a spare).
I ask Guy if he ever installed a SoCal flex-plate on this motor. He looked at his records and said no, the SoCal flex-plate was not made at the time the motor was originally built in 2009.
At this time Guy Tripp is very busy, I ask him to take his time, I'm not in a hurry for my motor and use it for filler work.

In the meantime Guy tells me the #7 cylinder has water in it. He checks the heads and block both are good but the rust in #7 is so bad the cylinders need to be bored out to .040 over and new pistons installed.

So in the end Guy installed SoCal cut & coated pistons, reground the cam to Hot street/tow #6480,
And did all this ~

General Shop Labor to disassemble and inspect
1 6480 Regrind Camshaft to #6480
Disassemble C... Disassemble Core Engine
Found Water in one cylinder
Thermal Clean/... Thermal Clean/Mag Test Block
Bore Block CNC Bore Block
Dual Torque Pl... Dual Torque Plate Hone Block
Align Hone Du... Align Hone Main Journals (Torque Mains to
225ftlbs and Cross Bolts to 90ftlbs)

Balance Crank ... Digitally Balance Crank Assembly for new
Pistons

Disassemble C... Disassemble Cylinder Heads
Thermal Clean ... Thermal Clean Cylinder Heads
Pressure Test C... Pressure Test Cylinder Heads
Mill Dmax Heads Mill Dmax Heads
Dmax Valve Job Dmax Valve Job 32 seats
Face and Backc...

Assemble Cylinder Heads

Assemble Long... Assemble Long Block

Performance C... 930029895 16.5CR w/ 0.075" pockets,
Performance Cast, 040 Ø4.095

Thermal Coat T... Thermal Coat Top Of Pistons

MS2218HX MS2218HX Duramax Performance Main Bearing
Set (.001 extra clearance)
2 lbs
CB1805H CB1805H set of 8 Duramax HP Rod Bearing. 2 LBS
TW610S Dmax... Dmax Thrust Bearing Kit
SH1999S Dma... Dmax Cam Bearing Kit 2 lbs
C Head Gasket ... C Head Gasket RH (82) 2 lbs
C Head Gasket ... C Head Gasket LH (85) 2 lbs
LB7-LLY-LBZ... CS54580 LB7-LLY-LBZ-LMM Lower Gasket
Set

LBZ Head Gas... HS54580B LBZ Head Gasket Set

On 08/07/2012 the motor was done.

This is what I PM'ed cuminstrkmydmax on 9/17.

Originally Posted by BHoward6.6
Hi Steve,

I wanted to touch base with you and tell you how things went with the motor, I will be honest and direct.
When Guy received the motor the first thing we saw was the whole thing in general looked very weathered like it sat outside for a month or 2. When he disassembled the motor he found water in the #7 cylinder, it had rusted the rings and cylinder wall bad enough that it needed to be bored out to 40 over and new pistons installed. The heads and block were checked and proved to be good. When Guy was done with the motor it was $XXXX extra. Some of that was mine like changing the cam, bearings, gaskets, dis-assembly and assemble of the motor. I'll even say most of the bill was mine just because going over the heads (pressure test) and block looking for the leak is still kinda rebuilding it.
Also in your add you wrote a SoCal flex-plate was part of the motor.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37350
It was not, the flex plate was stock.
When you posted the motor for sale I did not try to talk you down in price, I over-night-ed you a check, then patiently almost 3 weeks for the check to clear and get the motor shipped. During which this whole time I have not said one thing about this to anyone, because I feel you are a man of honor and will make this right.
I think, the cost of the pistons and the cost of a SoCal Flex-plate paid to me would be the fair.
The pistons were $XXXX and a SoCal Flex-plate is $XXX. This is $XXXX.
Feel free to call me if you like.
I can send you my invoice if you want, but I'm sure if you call Guy he will talk to you about it, he did take pictures of the motor when it arrived.

Brian Howard

QUOTE=cuminstrkmydmax

I have talked to alot of people in this world- and all the opinions seem to be in line with mine.

Let me address each of your points in order:
1) The weathered look-
The build date of the motor was 2009 iirc for a coastal texas truck, let me see pics of even yours after almost 3 years of real use. I do live in a coastal town, Huntington Beach, My motor had 175,000 and 5years miles on it and looked way better.
2)#7 cylinder-
I cant explain how water could be in the cylinder- seeing as how the heads werent off of the motor nor were the injectors out. Only explanation could be that the heads were bad- which we discussed was a thought, and you in turn talked to Guy.
The heads and block were fine, we think the motor sat out side and had a valve open that let rain water in.
3)rings and cylinder walls-
The concensus is there is no way that walls would be rusted to the point of needing bored- honing?
Rings are part of you wanting the motor disassembled-
I think you misunderstand, it was just the #7 that had water and rust in it. Guy Tripp tried honing it but the rust had pitted the cylinder wall to bad, it needed to be bored. The consensus doesn't really matter if Guy says it needs bored, it needs bored.
4)Heads and block-
Not that im complaining that these checked out good- but doesnt line up with saying that there is water in the cylinder?
Yep
5)Flexplate-
I have searched through all my files to find the pics i took of the motor before it shipped- they were on my old phone that i donated when i upgraded in March-
The flex plate that shipped outta here was not stock- I had people in the shop when it was in the crate making comments about the flexplate being on it. But now i cant prove it as i dont have pics.
I can prove that when the motor arrived at SoCal Diesel it had a stock flex-plate. Guy Tripp took pictures before I ever saw the motor. If you can't trust Guy Tripp who can you trust?
On 02/10 cuminstrkmydmax wrote "I sent the pic to your phone number that i had for you- Im guessing you didnt recieve it?"
On 02/12 I wrote Thanks again Steven, really looking forward to getting my truck going.
I did not get the pic, I think the # you have is my home phone. Here's my cell phone#
XXX-XXX-XXXX

I never did receive any pics from cuminstrokemydmax.

6)Price-
Okay- you paid what i listed it at as that price was more than FAIR. I would not have sold it for less had you tried.
7)3 weeks-
I cant control the policy for my hometown bank- the time it take for your personal check for that amount to clear is outta my hands- 10 business days.
8)Not saying anything-
This is your biggest problem. If you had called me 9 months ago when you say the flexplate wasnt as described then that coulda be addressed. You dont wait 9 months until you have the motor completely transformed into what you wanted then send me a message wanting me to pay for it.
Ok, fair enough. You are right. I should have contacted you about the stock flex-plate when he received the motor.
My reasoning for waiting till the motor was done is two fold. #1. Based on the general appearance of the motor I was waiting to see if any thing was wrong with the inside so I could talk to you about it all at the same time. #2. I really did not think you would question myself or Guy Tripp, I mean if Guy says the motor had a stock flex plate on it when he got it, well I thought that would be good enough.
I'm not sure if you are saying the shipping co stole the SoCal flex-plate and replaced it with a stock one the was in the same condition as the motor (rusted and weathered) or if some one at SoCal did it, those are the only possible scenario's. I really thought you would call Guy and at least ask about it but you didn't.
9)Paying for pistons and flexplate-
You actually think that i am going to pay for a set of pistons that i am not even getting? I dont think so. What happened to the pistons that were in the motor? The pistons that came out of the motor are on my shelf in a box with your name on it, I did figure they are yours. As for the flexplate- 9 months after you recieved the motor you are saying its missing parts- now is a little hard to prove one way or another dont you think? I don't think it's hard to prove it, pictures when it arrived at SoCal by Guy, and Guy stating it arrived with a stock flex-plate. I didnt remove the flexplate.
I believe you did not remove the flex-plate, I thought you were making the list in the add and just assumed it had a SoCal flex-plate because it is a SoCal stage 2 motor. A honest mistake.
10)Man of honor-
You are completely correct on this point- I disclosed every bit of information to you that i had on this motor- didnt try to hide anything. Told you every conversation i had with Guy and had you talk to Guy yourself. You knew that there was possibly some sort of problem in the motor- and you were fine with that. If you had called me 9 months ago and said you were dissatisfied with you purchase, i would have gladly refunded your money. 9 months later after you do all you wanted you want me to send you a check?
I would like to say that the motor was done and ready for pick up on 08/07, On 07/23 I had reconstructive shoulder surgery, So the motor install was a little slow going.
So all said and done you have less than 19k in a socal stage 2 motor- talk to Guy about what it would cost to have that from scratch- 27k!! You actually think its right that i send you Xk back, essentially selling my motor for X.Xk?
Your right a SoCal stage 2 with these options would be around 19~20k and say 3k for the injectors, so around the 23~25k range. But it would of had a SoCal flex-plate on it. :)

I have nothing to hide, never did try to hide anything, and dont feel that im in the wrong with any of what i have said.

-Steven

I told cuminstrkmydmax what I thought was fair, he disagreed.
A lot a guys have been asking about the motor, hows it running, were there any problems and so on,
but I did not want to say anything about it until the issue's were resolved.
I don't want this to be a bashing or potty-mouth thread towards cuminstrkmydmax or me. I just wanted to get it out so I can talk about my motor without feeling weird about anyone.
I have someone that wants to buy the pistons, I told them cuminstrkmydmax has first shot, sounds like he doesn't want them.

I still hope cuminstrkmydmax makes good on the flex-plate. I think if you say it has it and it clearly does not you should make it right.

I have the same username at DP with over 1000 posts, there and here I never have got into pissin contests or potty mouthing don't wana start now, It just does no good.

Steve (cuminstrkmydmax),
No hard feelings man.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Given all that has happened the last few months, I have come to the conclusion that I will neither buy or sell used duramax parts, for any reason.

The motor looks sweet! Glad you've got it in and running.

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
Given all that has happened the last few months, I have come to the conclusion that I will neither buy or sell used duramax parts, for any reason.

Starting to feel the same way myself:rolleyes:. The motor looks awesome, that thing is gonna be a beast! What are you going to run for a turbo setup?

BHoward6.6

West Coast
Feb 9, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA

Ya I know, it's been a little kooky.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN2571.jpg
    DSCN2571.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN2592.jpg
    DSCN2592.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN2593.jpg
    DSCN2593.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 95

BHoward6.6

West Coast
Feb 9, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA
The Motor

SoCal Stage 2
Crower rods
SoCal Diesel .040 over cut & coated Performance cast pistons, 16.5 CR (I did get to hold a chromoly monotherm piston at SoCals shop, wana set of those:D)
Billet main caps
Chrome moly push rods
SoCal Damper
SoCal Camshaft #6480 Hot street/Tow with ported heads
SoCal Stage 2 heads with titanium retainers
BD Flex-plate
ARP Head, main and rocker arm studs
Digitally balanced rotating assembly
70% over injectors
RDL castflows
PPE up-pipes
PPE duel fuelers
AirDog DF-165
GT4094VA
II S475 twin kit
RDL's EGR Delete pipe
Blankets on both turbos, exh manifolds, up-pipes and hot pipe from the 4094 to the 475
MA motor mounts
MA over flow / degas tank

I have 2 foster sons (12 & 14) that with the help of a few friends and my cousin Curtis made the install posible.
Along with Drew and Dan at PPE
I would like to publicly thank them. Thanks guys :hug: