My HD Bumper build

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Got tired of looking at/fixing my rattle canned bumper, didn't feel like paying someone to strip and paint it professionally, and I have been wanting a HD bumper for a while so i decided to build one. Went down to Escondido Metal Supply (really awesome place if you're in SoCal and like fabricating your own stuff) and got a 4x12 sheet of 1/8" diamond plate for $133. For the brackets, I took the main brackets off the factory bumper and switched them around and that worked perfectly for me and allowed me to keep some space between the bumper and my batteries. The lower bracket is a piece of 3/16x4" steel that bolts in where the tow hooks used to be. I'll eventually be making a full front skid plate to go with it, and a new rear bumper too. Anyhow, on with the pictures!
Before:
IMG_20130329_180858_762_zpsfc1a51c4.jpg

Center plate leveled and in place:
IMG_20130330_112008_871_zpsc2b89b7e.jpg

Tacked together:
IMG_20130330_170716_066_zpsdff67a66.jpg

Finished!
IMG_20130331_153933_156_zpsc990379d.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it so far. Still needs a coat of paint though. What do yall think? Black or white? Just looking at it makes me wanna go run over a prius or something. :D

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Looks great! I think it needs some holes with lights or something to break up the large flat areas and definately paint it black.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Thanks y'all! I actually have two 100W fog lights in the garage. Gotta figure out how to mount them though. Anyone got pictures of how the round fog lights mount behind one of these bumpers?

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Jesus!!!! Looks kind of like the one i built for my '85 k1500 mud truck. Yours is definitely prettier though lol Looks bad ass:thumb:

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Put some lights in there to piss of prius drivers. If they're not blinded by the light and get out of the way. You can run them over...

Nice bumper!

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Wow thats awesome.Hey can you weight both bumpers? im betting the aluminum bumper is still lighter.It looks so nice id polish it and make it shine.iF your set on painting white it out.Someone on here had a cad program that they could take your pic and show it to you in both versions i would ask for some help and see which you like better.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Nice work:thumb: I'd do black Linex.
Thanks man! Black seems to be the general consensus so far.

Put some lights in there to piss of prius drivers. If they're not blinded by the light and get out of the way. You can run them over...

Nice bumper!
Man this forum needs a Like button. haha I hate those frickin cars! Smart cars too. They are the biggest scam ever pushed on US citizens!

Wow thats awesome.Hey can you weight both bumpers? im betting the aluminum bumper is still lighter.It looks so nice id polish it and make it shine.iF your set on painting white it out.Someone on here had a cad program that they could take your pic and show it to you in both versions i would ask for some help and see which you like better.

Yep. I'll see if I can find a scale and weigh them both. It's a little heavier than the factory one but not by much. I can easily pick it up and I'm not a big fella by any means. That would be awesome. Any idea who it is that has that program?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I believe it was in a color coding mirrors thread or bumpers thread i cant rememeber now hopefully someone with a beter memory will chime in.I want to say Alliance is 1 or them that can do it.