My fuel tank is NOT 26 gallons

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
This has been irritating me for years...I just dealt with it, but finally after running out of fuel for the (probably, no joke) 15th time today, I want to actually figure out what the hell is wrong.

Its kind of funny actually, most of the time I run out, ill get a dead (accelerator) pedal, engine RPM's slowly drop and then stalls, and as im coasting to the side of the road, between the time the engine actually shuts off to the time I stop coasting, the low fuel light comes on and [DING-DING-DING] "fuel level low" in the driver info center. Thanks a lot, jackass fuel sending unit. I know I should probably pay more attention to the fuel gauge, but whatever level its at, it really doesnt catch my attention/really dont think about it until the light comes on. And, as I just said, the light seems to come on AS Im coasting to the side of the road.

As long as I can remember, I have NEVER put more than ~22 gallons in the truck. Even rocking the thing, waiting for the foam to dissipate, etc I still cant get anywhere NEAR 26 gallons in the tank. I realize not all the 26 gallons are usable, but I hear of lots of guys claiming they have put 27 gallons in their short bed tanks, 38 gallons in their long bed tanks blah blah blah.

Luckily, most of the times Ive run out, ive had a gallon of ATF or Rotella in my tool box so I just throw that in and thats enough to make it to the gas station where I can fill up with diesel.

Even when I literally run out of fuel (and put a gallon of diesel, ATF, motor oil, whatever I have with me that a dmax will run on), I get to the gas station, and the pump clicks off at, you guessed it, 21ish gallons. So I figure at absolute BEST, my "26 gallon" tank has no more than 22ish MAYBE 23 "usable" gallons.

I havent screwed with the fuel level sensor calibration in EFILive, because it seems to be pretty accurate. The Tech 2 reads roughly the correct gallons, but theres just "something" that is preventing me from using those last 5 gallons or so.

Is anyone else's truck like this? Im too busy to mess around with dropping the tank or pulling the bed, but could my fuel pickup be messed up somehow? 5" of crap in the bottom of the tank??? Im lost... :confused:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I think u can change when it shows you that ur tank is low in efi though..? maybe u could bump it up some?

Yeah I know, but Id rather just fix the problem of why there is a whole (at least) 5 gallons left in my tank that I cant use, when no one else seems to have any problems using 25-26 gallons before they run out of fuel.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
i know ive put damn near close to 26 gallons in my truck numerous times without running it out of fuel when the light turns on. but at the same time, when i went to canada for the Edmonton race a couple years ago, i ran out of fuel before the light turned on. sounds like its time for a fuel tank sump lol.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
stock factory-original fuel pickup. 175k miles on the truck. Never had the tank out of the truck or anything.

I suppose I could probably answer my own question by dropping the tank, but like I said I really dont have the time to mess around with my own truck. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
When I had my 03 the older the truck got the less distance I could get on a tank. At 90k miles it would run out of fuel before the light came on. Mine gradually got worse and worse almost like the fuel pickup was getting shorter and shorter. On my 06 My light comes on and about 10-15 miles later the needle actually hits E. When I fill up I never get over 19-19.5 gallons in it. I often wonder just how far I could go on this truck before running out. If there's 26 gallons of fuel in the tank I really would love to be able to burn 24 of it.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
When I had my 03 the older the truck got the less distance I could get on a tank. At 90k miles it would run out of fuel before the light came on. Mine gradually got worse and worse almost like the fuel pickup was getting shorter and shorter. On my 06 My light comes on and about 10-15 miles later the needle actually hits E. When I fill up I never get over 19-19.5 gallons in it. I often wonder just how far I could go on this truck before running out. If there's 26 gallons of fuel in the tank I really would love to be able to burn 24 of it.

I was gonna rescale my gauge to where it read low fuel with 2 gallons left. I run about 40 miles on lf before putting fuel in it. I have actually put just shy of 25 gallons in before. Most I think I've gone on the lf light is 60 miles. As of now low fuel, and the gauge read as if you have a 20 gallon tank on my shortbed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
My fuel light just came on went to fill up - 20.75 gallons. I have never seen over 22 gallons we can't possibly have that much in reserve.

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
I have a super tank in my truck. For the first couple years I could run it right down to E. Then one day it started running out at the 1/4 mark. No program changes. And, I could only get about 40 gallons back in. I'm only running a single Kennedy pump, and since it didn't always do it, my problem can't be the typical "running out of fuel at 1/4 tank" issue..

I've even gone as far as dropping the tank to make sure I didn't lose or damage the pick up.

:dontknow:

Last edited:

[email protected]

cmitchell17
Sep 8, 2008
My 05 does the same thing I've run out before and I think at the most I've got in it was about 24 gallons.

What about the accuracy of the gas station pump? The pump measures volume but not mass right, so especially for gas wouldn't the density change a lot. Like when you hand calculate 15mpg and the dic says 18mpg but the dic can't be wrong, as long is it is stock or corrected for pulse.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Now that I think about it my buddies lly would run out before it hit e. I gave him a new stock tune to get modified because he didn't have his original saved. I checked thinking his new stock tune I found him was from a 34 gallon tank, but it was for a shortbed... So his was funny too. Hmm

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Well maybe old tanks are funny. Because mine will hold 26 gallons, with a 6 gallon reserve.

That's a stock tank? That's what my dually tank holds!

Benj sounds like you have a pick up problem. Is there baffles in these tanks to help sloshing and angles? Sounds like you have trapped fuel. Your going to have to deal with it,drop it,or get a different tank. You know you shouldn't run out of fuel or run that low anyway! Crap I fill up at near a half which is roughly 18 gallons which is what now a hundred bucks?

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
I think it's a draw issue, I had a similar issue then my lift pump stopped workin and now I can run it right to the bottom, might install a sump