My fix for keeping bridge inlet pipe secure (w/ egr delete)

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
So I built an egr delete pipe a while back. Had it off to add a port for water injection and it never went back quite right. The y-brige inlet pipe didn't fully seat. (I could see the outer o-ring a little. Plus it had just a little bit of play when you pull on it and that movement will eventually eat the o-rings (that was with 2 braces).

I pulled it apart tonight and the inner o-ring was cut in half! :mad:

I decided I needed to do something that would keep it in all the way, and keep it tight!

I built a bracket with a bolt that allowed me to "bind" it in the hole. Between this and the pipe w/ braces above... it doesn't move AT ALL!! :thumb:

And it appears to be fully seated unlike before!

Pain in the ass, but I don't think I need to worry about it chewing up o-rings or moving out under boost.

Some delete tubes seem to work for people making a lot more boost than me... mine needed a little extra help to work properly :rofl:

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• brace1.JPG
    brace1.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 166
  • brace2.JPG
    brace2.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 165

Big Angry

<--My idea of a good time
Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
Nope, good going. I replaced that damned O Ring and almost lit my truck on fire when installing the twins. Nothing would keep it in on my LLY, we too, had to resort to a custom bracket to keep that intake horn (or whatever the technical name for it is, I preferred F'ing POS for a while :mad:) from blowing out under boost, so I feel your pain.
Good going.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
So you tighten the bolt up onto the back of the neck? It's a good idea, but I would be a little worried about the bolt breaking through the inlet after a while.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Looks good:thumb: I have a bracket from turbo buick to help secure mine, but it still blew out after the twins. I used the GM gasket maker around the O-rings last time and tweaked the bracket a little, so far so good but I'm sure its going to be a PITA to remove again:(

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Thanks guys,

I preferred F'ing POS for a while

Agreed!! :rofl:

So you tighten the bolt up onto the back of the neck? It's a good idea, but I would be a little worried about the bolt breaking through the inlet after a while.

I didn't get it real tight... it bound up pretty quick and got solid (at least they made it a good fit down there). It does make me a little nervous though, hopefully the pipe and it's 2 brackets will help support the whole deal enough that it isn't straining against that bolt too hard. I'm hoping that the 3 together will provide enough support. It probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to weld a tab onto the pipe for the bolt to push against for a little extra strength.

I almost did this further down the pipe and then I would have mounted the bolt at an angle to actually hold it in properly but after seeing how quick it binds and gets solid I went for the easier plan ;)

Looks good I have a bracket from turbo buick to help secure mine, but it still blew out after the twins. I used the GM gasket maker around the O-rings last time and tweaked the bracket a little, so far so good but I'm sure its going to be a PITA to remove again

Thanks! ... what does your bracket look like, curios to see what others have come up with here!

If a guy was to pull out the bridge this whole thing could be fixed without too much trouble... glad it's holding, hopefully it stays that way for you. I don't see more than 30psi if I'm lucky, trying to hold the boost from twins could be interesting

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I did the same thing one mine (well kinda) I used a drift key to my drill press ( cause I dont know what the hell its used for it was just laying around) I drilled a hole in it and used one of the same thermo housing bolts. Pretty much the same thing as yours only not adjustable. What I think really helped the most though was I put a 3 inch flat bandclamp around the delete pipe and braced that to the front of the engine, on the factory mount for the intake manifold. Thats where it really needs braced... If you notice the bottom twists out when they blow, so you need to kill that natural pivot point which is the flange where the horn meets the delete pipe... It doesn't "push out" it twists out, but like you I wanted the extra insurance.

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
Looks good:thumb: I have a bracket from turbo buick to help secure mine, but it still blew out after the twins. I used the GM gasket maker around the O-rings last time and tweaked the bracket a little, so far so good but I'm sure its going to be a PITA to remove again:(

Do you have a picture of the bracket and how much it cost?

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
The bracket looks like a great idea, But with all the hassle if the o-rings failing why not just get a bridge from RDL or just weld the factory one?

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
The bracket looks like a great idea, But with all the hassle if the o-rings failing why not just get a bridge from RDL or just weld the factory one?

I don't think the RDL bridge would fit with my big ass cobra head custom intake? Not sure though I've never seen one in person, just appeared that way because the pipe comes more out of the top of the bridge? (if I'm talking about the right one?) Does look like a great piece though since it's 3" all the way. I ported mine a little bit but you can only open it so much which sucks :(

I did consider welding it, but after looking at how much of a PITA it would be to pull the bridge (I have heard it's really tough anyway). I opted for this bracket which didn't take too long to make.

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
I had one of his rge delete pipes but once installed it didn't fit with my ram air hood. I remember a bracket but it bolted to the bolts behind the altenator.