must have towing mods

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
Are you capable of some light fabrication? If so you can save a few bucks by making your own trans cooler kit. There is an earls cooler that you can screw your factory cooler threads into and the spacing is correct so that the lines plug right in. You would just have to make some brackets. These part numbers are for summit racing. Can save you a few bucks this way :hug:
82510ERL for grey
82510AERL for black

Jordan what kind of temp drops did you see with that? great write up by the way. :thumb:

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
Be sure you inspect the FICM wire harness at the side of the alternator. It is tied down with a Zip tie and the sharp corner of the FICM bracket cuts into the wires.

Also read up on how to ice-pick the #2 and #7 injector connectors. Those two can cause problems, and you will not be able to drive it.

Be sure to replace the two idler pulleys, or carry them, along with a fan belt. They seem to go bad around 1K miles. They are reasonable from GM. Belt is not!

Also carry a new fuel filter, and know how to change it.

Good Luck, I loved Alaska-

travistim_69

USMC diesel Mechanic
Jul 22, 2009
Oceanside Ca./ from Juneau Ak.
Are you capable of some light fabrication? If so you can save a few bucks by making your own trans cooler kit. There is an earls cooler that you can screw your factory cooler threads into and the spacing is correct so that the lines plug right in. You would just have to make some brackets. These part numbers are for summit racing. Can save you a few bucks this way :hug:
82510ERL for grey
82510AERL for black

I have been looking into a DIY trans cooler I will check it out. Thanks for the good info.

Be sure you inspect the FICM wire harness at the side of the alternator. It is tied down with a Zip tie and the sharp corner of the FICM bracket cuts into the wires.

Also read up on how to ice-pick the #2 and #7 injector connectors. Those two can cause problems, and you will not be able to drive it.

Be sure to replace the two idler pulleys, or carry them, along with a fan belt. They seem to go bad around 1K miles. They are reasonable from GM. Belt is not!

Also carry a new fuel filter, and know how to change it.

Good Luck, I loved Alaska-

Thanks that's good to know about the wires, I planed on changing my serpentine belt and I will check my pulleys, my truck is at 155K now so I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. I always carry a spare fuel filter on even the shortest road trips.

salt222

Jan 22, 2012
I would do the lbz mouth piece for sure, worth every penny! [is this the cold air intake?]
Also read up on how to ice-pick the #2 and #7 injector connectors {WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??}
thanks Joe

the freeze

Feb 23, 2010
Lbz mouth peice or afe

Mike l tranny cooler a Allison tranny is to expensive to scre around with some untested tranny cooler setup that may cause a pressure drop

Lml big bore manifold to helpget the heat off the driver side pistons during long hard pulls

And I love airbags

Edge insight or gauges so you can monitor egts tranny temp and ect Factory gauges are crap

Welcome back. Thanx for your service

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
All I would do is the LBZ mouth piece

I never needed a larger cooler the hottest my tranny ever got towing in the summer when it was 110 degrees was 200 degrees

the engine oil gets way hotter than that

As for deep pans they don't hurt but they don't really help

Diff cover is mainly for looks it can make it run slightly cooler but it is not a issue

Just make sure you have a good brake controller thats the only thing that you actually need

travistim_69

USMC diesel Mechanic
Jul 22, 2009
Oceanside Ca./ from Juneau Ak.
Lbz mouth peice or afe

Mike l tranny cooler a Allison tranny is to expensive to scre around with some untested tranny cooler setup that may cause a pressure drop

Lml big bore manifold to helpget the heat off the driver side pistons during long hard pulls

And I love airbags

Edge insight or gauges so you can monitor egts tranny temp and ect Factory gauges are crap

Welcome back. Thanx for your service

Ok the LBZ mouth piece is on my to do list for sure, Hopefully I can budget a trans cooler, and I have a firestone airbag kit and the Edge CTS already :)
Thanks for the welcome back and the thank you, you would be suprised how rare service members hear "thanks for your service"

All I would do is the LBZ mouth piece

I never needed a larger cooler the hottest my tranny ever got towing in the summer when it was 110 degrees was 200 degrees

the engine oil gets way hotter than that

As for deep pans they don't hurt but they don't really help

Diff cover is mainly for looks it can make it run slightly cooler but it is not a issue

Just make sure you have a good brake controller thats the only thing that you actually need

Ok so I am going to do the LBZ mouth piece first and then maybe the trans cooler if its in the budget after I buy the trailer and trailer brake controller.

Have whoever is doing your efi tuning make you a turbo brake. Its simple and effective.

Thanks my current tow tune has one.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate your advice

llybyppe

May 11, 2009
How heavy is the trailer your towing. Do you have airbags. DEpending on the weight airbags are a huge help.

BackNBlackTJ

Ahhh, yeah... about that!
Dec 22, 2009
Arid-zona
I'm loving the MikeL cooler I had put in mine went he rebuilt the trans... just got done towing 10K from Tucson up through Flagstaff into Utah and back... trans temps never got above 190 even in the AZ heat and hills... the only time I kicked off the cruise control was due to EGTs and Engine temps on a particularly steep grade. One of the best investments I've made on this truck. The last time I made this route I was having to creep the hills because the trans was pissed off the whole way.

Now I'm looking for ways to keep engine/oil temps down. Egt's were high but not unreasonably so I'll leave that for now.

From a former squid... to a jarhead... welcome home Marine, SemperFi

Last edited:

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
I put some timbren rubber springs onthe rear. They work real good when towing and hauling and they are much cheaper than airbags and pretty much maint. free! Your truck should be fine as is for towing, but deffinatley a brake controller and make sure truck and trailer are in ship shape! Also gonna recommend a tool box with basic tools, tire iron, tire plugs and a prtable air compressor. Extra light bulbs etc. I carry alot of sh*t in my truck when I am plowing snow. Never know when a hydraulic line blows or a tire get a hole or a snow blower breaks!