Question: Moving rear leaf spring hangers up

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
I want to move the rear leaf spring hangers up 3"s. Was wondering if it's been done before or anyone sees a issue with it. Looks to me that I will just have to cut the 6 rivers out per side. Cut 3"s off the top of the hanger slide it up and drill 4 new holes in the hanger to match the frame.also will have to drill a hole through the frame for the shackle bolt. Before I get asked why I'm installing a roll pan on my lbz and don't want to see the hangers hanging down. I figured moving the hangers up would drop the back down just like drop shackles. Input welcome.

Thanks, Anthony

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
alright, i think i am confusing myself with your post here.

are you moving the front spring hanger or the rear shackle hanger? your post can be taken either way :D

i think you are talking about the rear shackle hangers. if so, yes you can do that and it shouldnt be an issue as long as you can reach the bolts in the frame to tighten it up

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
sorry I see I've been calling it by the wrong name. I am talking about the rear shackle hanger. I think I will be able to get to the bolts I'm doing some frame clean up at the same time and will have the bed off. thank you for your input

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I did it on mine. Same reason. I just installed the leaf spring bolt facing out then bolted up the hanger so I didn't have to cut a hole in the frame.

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
That's the way Diesel Addiction does their lowering. Are you going to do that to the front hanger also. You can get that thing way down there! Are you going to notch it while you're there? If you do McGaughys spindles and DJM control arms you could match the front way down too!! Get that thing in the weeds; lol

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Will that change your driveline angle from the case to rear end ?

yes, but the same as lowing shackles. when I installed my lowing shackles I had a driveline vibration and had to and shims to the transmission mount and degreed shims between the leaf springs and rear. I'm told must don't do any shimming and have no vibrations idk. I'm sure my traction bars made the difference.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
That's the way Diesel Addiction does their lowering. Are you going to do that to the front hanger also. You can get that thing way down there! Are you going to notch it while you're there? If you do McGaughys spindles and DJM control arms you could match the front way down too!! Get that thing in the weeds; lol

I'm not looking to go that low. just don't want to see the rear shackle hangers sitting below my roll pan.

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
Right on dude, I have a roll pan set up on my ride and you cannot see the hangers; check out some rear wheel liner's, they really clean things up.

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
Right on dude, I have a roll pan set up on my ride and you cannot see the hangers; check out some rear wheel liner's, they really clean things up.
Like this...
ef3ff25bca0e16bf4a2971c6de4c0251.jpg

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thank you, I will try that :thumb:

Make sure your shackles are 1.5” longer than stock. Some go by length longer than stock and some go by how much the truck is lowered. That’s 2 different things. Moving your mount up 1.5” will lower the truck about 3/4”-1”. If the shackles are 1.5” longer than stock, you are set. If the shackles are meant for 1.5” drop, it ain’t the same

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
my shackles now are 3'' longer between bolt holes compared to factory. I believe that's 1.5 lowing in the rear. I plan on moving the hanger up 3'' and using the factory shackle. that should give me the same -1.5 in the rear if I'm not mistaken?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Who not use stock shackles and move the front hangar up or buy the drop hangars? That way your opinion angle will be great and just as low with factory shackles.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
my shackles now are 3'' longer between bolt holes compared to factory. I believe that's 1.5 lowing in the rear. I plan on moving the hanger up 3'' and using the factory shackle. that should give me the same -1.5 in the rear if I'm not mistaken?

Nope, you are correct!

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO

b0715f98ebcaa81818b967ef5717fab4.jpg

If you have any 5th wheel plate you'll get a slight crease like mine. I plan on heating it up with a Torch this weekend and smoothing it out. These are husky liners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk