Modded VVT's from PPE?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Dan

So is this going to be like the Danville charger or like Braydens turbos?? I think whether its a modded VNT or a GT40 they will all honestly turn out to be around the same cost as a lot of work goes into those modded VNT chargers.

Well, when Joe told me to my face that there wasn't enough demand or interest on their part to take over my charger project after I had done all my testing and research and that I should do them myself because Garrett was coming out with a new upgraded unit of their own soon. I thought that all was well so I (like an idiot) share my information and pictures of my chargers with Dan and now looik where we are, not cool. Right now I think as much of you as I do Ric, and that is as low on the human totum-pole as you can get.:mad: Very dissappointed.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Well, when Joe told me to my face that there wasn't enough demand or interest on their part to take over my charger project after I had done all my testing and research and that I should do them myself because Garrett was coming out with a new upgraded unit of their own soon. I thought that all was well so I (like an idiot) share my information and pictures of my chargers with Dan and now looik where we are, not cool. Right now I think as much of you as I do Ric, and that is as low on the human totum-pole as you can get.:mad: Very dissappointed.

What do these shops have in common:

• Industrial Injection
  • Turbonetics
  • Garrett
  • High Tech
  • ATP
  • (and several others)

They all told me in 2005 that making a Hybrid VNT was impossible and there wasn't enough demand. At that point, I asked PPE if they could find a source. At the time they said no.

This was actually a topic of discussion at the Suncoast Open House Jan '07 with many shops in attendance.

And yes, Garrett will be releasing an LLY/LBZ/LMM VNT drop-in.

Hybrid chargers are an old concept, and if I had access to raw parts and a lathe, I would have had one in '05.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal

I Hope thats not the case. but if it is that sucks.

Last edited:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
VVT chargers

I have not talked to anyone who is not happy with there VVT charger. No matter who made it. I think I was one of the "FEW PEOPLE" at DPC that didn't need nitrous to lite my charger! Ok single charger trucks:eek:. I did need nitrous to make power but not to spool. I need to get back over to have Mark dyno my truck again. I think it will do a little better this time. Jeff

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008

That was my point. I was asking which one of you guys they were going to copy, as you and Brayden definately have the bases covered in the VNT category.

Killerbee

Got Honey?
I can only speak from what I have seen and heard firsthand. Vane position going from 68% to 45% without touching the hot side. EGT decreased, but not sure what it equates to in Drive Pressure Ratio.

Jon at one point you had a formula for predicting the parasitic HP lost to drive pressure. Maybe a new thread.

kodiak

Sep 25, 2007
All I am trying to accomplish..is to run the same amount of power...without running as much boost. In other words, I'd be happy running 15LBS of boost towing, rather than 30LBS...and keep the ECT to a manageable level. Making the hot and cold side of the turbo more efficient should do this...right??

Are there different vanes available for these????

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.

Mark,

I have called over there to talk with you on a couple of different occasions (ask Larry) and even left a messages on your cell. I have never received a returned call back to discuss this before we got into it. We have shared alot of informtion with you as part of the team. I'm sorry your are disapointed...:( . I tried to go about this the "right way" and looks what happens.

We are going to go about this a little different then you and other builders of modded NVT's....

If we waited for other manifacuters to make parts that said "are coming soon" where would we be? Where would our customers be? Where would the Duramax be?

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
That was my point. I was asking which one of you guys they were going to copy, as you and Brayden definately have the bases covered in the VNT category.

The base's are not covered yet. There are plenty of ways to improve on what is currently being offered.

That is like saying GM is copying Ford becuase they make cars and trucks also. There are plenty of way of making things different and better at the same time.....

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Guys sorry that I'm having to edit/delete alot of posts. We will not tolerate other vendors/non vendors advertising in our area. Thanks and sorry again....

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Jon at one point you had a formula for predicting the parasitic HP lost to drive pressure. Maybe a new thread.

2 HP/pound of back pressure in strict mechanical terms. The goal of any VNT improvement has to address the boost/drive pressure ratio to be successful.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
The base's are not covered yet. There are plenty of ways to improve on what is currently being offered.

That is like saying GM is copying Ford becuase they make cars and trucks also. There are plenty of way of making things different and better at the same time.....

Its not at all like how you say....And if you do know that all the bases arent covered Im assuming youve taken apart one of each of Braydens turbos.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
2 HP/pound of back pressure in strict mechanical terms. The goal of any VNT improvement has to address the boost/drive pressure ratio to be successful.

Yes, and understanding how and why these chargers were built in the first place will help in making them more efficient when modified.