Mike L stage 3 trans. making noise in reverse?

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
Mine makes a similar noise when it's in four low and I go from drive to park. I have to put it in neutral then reverse then park leaving it in each gear for a second so it has time to move the internals to the next gear otherwise it makes that sound

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Peel the internal filter apart and see if there is any debris inside. With that kind of noise I would expect it to be transfer case as I have never heard a trans noise like that yet.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Thanks Mike i will pull the pan i guess. Maybe get someone under the truck to see if they can distinguish if it is the trans or tease first. my tcase still hasn't had pump rub kit or been apart it has 75,000 miles on it.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Tcase has blocking rings on the main shaft. Could b worn I guess. With only 75k I would find it hard to believe that anything is worn though. I'm kinda having the same issue only mine is in all gears and only when I build boost. It pops out of gear and makes the noise u r talking about. Then it grabs the gear again. Drives around fine every day though.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Tcase has blocking rings on the main shaft. Could b worn I guess. With only 75k I would find it hard to believe that anything is worn though. I'm kinda having the same issue only mine is in all gears and only when I build boost. It pops out of gear and makes the noise u r talking about. Then it grabs the gear again. Drives around fine every day though.

Hmmm wonder if mine is headed down the road yours is? I sure hope not, if you find anything out with yours please post back up what it is. I will do what Mike suggested and see what i find. It will be awhile though because im remodeling my new house trying to get ready to move in so it will be a winter project. I just would like to know if it is tcase or trans to ease my mind. If its in the tcase i can rebuild it as i have done them before but if it is the trans it will be shipped back cross country to Mike!