Mechanical Dmax in tractor

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Saw this over at DP....the crazy Europeans are at it again.

[YOUTUBE]uk-2ViFLwPY#t=12[/YOUTUBE]

I know Chris Watson did a mechanical Dmax in his puller, but this is different. Nicely done, too.

Here's a pulling vid of it:

[YOUTUBE]lzLfGme5gf4[/YOUTUBE]

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
They built the 1st one in 09. Before they did this they had a 6.2/6.5 hybrid they built using a CATERPILLAR inline injection pump to get enough fuel to it.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Educate a novice on the advantages to converting to mechanical as oppose to common rail high pressure injected? Is it merely RPM and high do they expect to spin these engines? In a diesel you see peek HP and torque much lower on the RPM scale why does it need to be out further what is the advantage ? :confused:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I thought someone dug up a bone with this one. LOL Didn't realize this was a new thread...

My understanding is they had to go mechanical over there for the pulling class they built for which does not allow electronics. Kinda like the gasser pulling classes over here - very few places allow electronic-controlled engines here. At least not in KY.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Educate a novice on the advantages to converting to mechanical as oppose to common rail high pressure injected? Is it merely RPM and high do they expect to spin these engines? In a diesel you see peek HP and torque much lower on the RPM scale why does it need to be out further what is the advantage ? :confused:

A mechanical pump is able to move a much greater volume of fuel when compared to a high pressure system. This is why 12 valves dominate in sled pulling. More rpms and more power can be had with a mechanical pump.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
A mechanical pump is able to move a much greater volume of fuel when compared to a high pressure system. This is why 12 valves dominate in sled pulling. More rpms and more power can be had with a mechanical pump.

It would be great to get technical information from these builds on what kind of power have they achieved to what RPM they have gone to too what type of or any broken parts have they had.

Just for comparison to the power being made today with common rail systems with dual if not triple everything and bigger injectors.
Or maybe they just don't know how to tune so they want to keep it simple. :D

Plus cost I suppose.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just an FYI, I don't read DP Magazine, so thats why I thought this was a "new" topic.

I figure something like this is where Chris got his ideas from. I was impressed with the level of fabrication on this.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Chris spoke to them IIRC & did things differently. They run their pump off a belt as you saw & chris went way different with custom front cover & gear driven I believe. He went much different route (mucho larger capacity) on injectors too.

I cant remember if the other guys even have aftermarket rods. Idt they did at first anyway. So that indicates their power potential. ;) evidently they found Zack hamilton though so maybe they have built their engine by now? Certainly glad to see they finally built the cage or it! It used to be open = crazy!

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
It would be great to get technical information from these builds on what kind of power have they achieved to what RPM they have gone to too what type of or any broken parts have they had.

Just for comparison to the power being made today with common rail systems with dual if not triple everything and bigger injectors.
Or maybe they just don't know how to tune so they want to keep it simple. :D

Plus cost I suppose.

I know Haisley engine dynoed 2,162hp on a 12v on a 106mm single, so the turbo isn't the limiting factor. I know it's a 12v, not common rail, just throwing it in for context.

no high pressure system will come close to a p pump for quite a while

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Just an FYI, I don't read DP Magazine, so thats why I thought this was a "new" topic.

I figure something like this is where Chris got his ideas from. I was impressed with the level of fabrication on this.

There was a thread about it here a couple of years ago too.