LB7: Max Effort tune, high egts 1600**

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
My egt's don't ramp up as fast as they did before. Although I have not checked max egt's on a full throttle run they have to be lower then before. I'll have to check now.

Do you feel it was worth the money for the extra power?

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Do you feel it was worth the money for the extra power?

Compared to the Danville or fleece, its a serious bargain. It made quite a difference. I couldrobably get a retune but for now I have almost no smoke.

I'll do a few runs and see what I get for temps and post them up.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Compared to the Danville or fleece, its a serious bargain. It made quite a difference. I couldrobably get a retune but for now I have almost no smoke.

I'll do a few runs and see what I get for temps and post them up.

That would be nice, my tune does not clean up very well. I am seriously considering going with a replacement from russ.

Do you run a 3 inch y bridge with your setup?

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
That would be nice, my tune does not clean up very well. I am seriously considering going with a replacement from russ.

Do you run a 3 inch y bridge with your setup?

3" y bridge is the only air modification I did not do. For the price I don't see it worth it until I'm making way more power.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
3" y bridge is the only air modification I did not do. For the price I don't see it worth it until I'm making way more power.

HSP is claiming 30hp and egt reductions on stock turbo max effort trucks. Still not sure its worth it. If I do russ's turbo Ill probably do both since its all apart.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
HSP is claiming 30hp and egt reductions on stock turbo max effort trucks. Still not sure its worth it. If I do russ's turbo Ill probably do both since its all apart.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy stuff from HSP, but unless that y bridge has magical powers it's not going to give you 30hp with a stock turbo. More air or less fuel is going to be what makes any real difference.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Back when I ran Robs max tune when I was all stock but the lift pump I think it was rare to see 1500 on the egts. So imo before dumping money into it I would contact the tuner and see what he says he can do for you. Unless your looking for a reason to upgrade.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Back when I ran Robs max tune when I was all stock but the lift pump I think it was rare to see 1500 on the egts. So imo before dumping money into it I would contact the tuner and see what he says he can do for you. Unless your looking for a reason to upgrade.

You are right, I will be data logging it shortly.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
haha you've already been through all this havent you ;)

Lol yup and by the time you get egt's down, hp will have increased enough for you to bend rods if your not careful.

I ran hot tunes for 3 years before the twins went on. That was 50,000 miles. Obviously not wot all the time but I beat on it quite a bit. When the rods bent after the twins, cyl 5 piston was just cracking. Most of those miles were on canned tunes (edge on 5, then PPE hot+2 on lvl7)

Basically, pick your poison or keep her on a smaller tune.

If I were to do it over again and wanted to keep a stock motor, I'd do twins, keep my biggest tune at around 480-500rwhp and drive it. Egt's will always be in check, you can beat on it and as long as you don't happen to have a truck with weak rods, the motor should last.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
1600 degrees isn't anything to worry about unless you keep it to the floor all the time. A stock LBZ I tuned this past week saw 1275 degrees and would have went higher if I had ran it harder. Af t er tuning it went up about 200 degrees on the smallest tune.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Lol yup and by the time you get egt's down, hp will have increased enough for you to bend rods if your not careful.

I ran hot tunes for 3 years before the twins went on. That was 50,000 miles. Obviously not wot all the time but I beat on it quite a bit. When the rods bent after the twins, cyl 5 piston was just cracking. Most of those miles were on canned tunes (edge on 5, then PPE hot+2 on lvl7)

Basically, pick your poison or keep her on a smaller tune.

If I were to do it over again and wanted to keep a stock motor, I'd do twins, keep my biggest tune at around 480-500rwhp and drive it. Egt's will always be in check, you can beat on it and as long as you don't happen to have a truck with weak rods, the motor should last.

Ya i have no intention of building the motor, so if I do any other mod it will be a ported stock turbo with a billet wheel and Ill probably run my smaller tune. Im already content with the power, it just seems like my bigger tune would be better suited for more air. Alot of unburned fuel...

rwhp is deceiving running these big tires... I bet my truck is 480ish now even with the tires. 530 with stockers haha

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Who is Russell and what turbo are you all speaking of?

Yellowchevy is his name on here. In the vendor section his business name is Axis Design. He does a modded ported and polished turbo.

Super easy to work with, puts out a hell of a product at a more then fair price.