Major allison problems..what do you think?

AJ500

May 25, 2010
I did not build the trans my brother did who is a trans guy i was there for the build. Can someone enlighten me about the improper install?

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
LOL ok I was lost for a min there :hug:

Sorry about that henry! I read through the post and I can see how it can be confusing! Lol yes I would buy a trans and just build and work on the used useless one!

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I did not build the trans my brother did who is a trans guy i was there for the build. Can someone enlighten me about the improper install?

I would say something was to tight by the post you made here and answered for yourself in 2 mins and wanted the thread deleted. Seems it is the same C-3 set that were looking at now so you got about 4 months out of the trans. So what type of power were you throwing at it? What were you doing when it happened?
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showpost.php?p=361699&postcount=2

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Sorry about that henry! I read through the post and I can see how it can be confusing! Lol yes I would buy a trans and just build and work on the used useless one!

I wouldnt mind playing with a allison but I have no need when I have George lol If i'm on the West Coast I have Mike i'm covered coast to coast. I'll stick with the PG,350,400,4l80's lol

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
I'm considering doing my own for a couple reasons:

-I don't have tons of money

-I have built my own turbo kits, engines, tuning and everything in between and I really like saying I did it all myself (dont get me wrong.. this could def backfire with something as complicated as an Allison!)

-I don't know if there is anyone nearby (Colorado) that knows shit about the Allison???

However... I'd hate to ruin that much $$$ worth of parts by doing it wrong :mad: It is a tough choice either way. I know the people who know what they are doing like Mike didn't learn this without putting in a buttload of time, and that is worth a LOT!

I feel bad for the OP... as I am a DIY'er too. Good luck getting it figured out...

AJ500

May 25, 2010
The confusion was a mistake of the plates it looked as if they wanted you to reuse the stock one. It has about 6k on it and i put it through its paces but i dont thrash on the thing.

Not much power just a nasty EFI tune with supporting mods.

And when it happened i was slowing towards a stop sign and it had two nasty down shifts, when i went to make my left hand turn it went into limp mode locked in third. So i pulled over and shut the truck off. when i started it back up and dropped it in drive it did nothing. Every gear was like neutral. I was only a few blocks from home so i went and got my other truck and when i was pulling it (slowly and in neutral) the rear tires locked and when i pulled it apart this is what i found:mad:

AJ500

May 25, 2010
I'm considering doing my own for a couple reasons:

-I don't have tons of money

-I have built my own turbo kits, engines, tuning and everything in between and I really like saying I did it all myself (dont get me wrong.. this could def backfire with something as complicated as an Allison!)

-I don't know if there is anyone nearby (Colorado) that knows shit about the Allison???

However... I'd hate to ruin that much $$$ worth of parts by doing it wrong :mad: It is a tough choice either way. I know the people who know what they are doing like Mike didn't learn this without putting in a buttload of time, and that is worth a LOT!

I feel bad for the OP... as I am a DIY'er too. Good luck getting it figured out...

Thank you and i agree!

My brother is a tranny guy by trade and he did the jist of the work, seeings how im not very experienced with transmissions, i was there to pull it out and help.

Can someone explain to me why they think it was misinstalled? BTW the clutches in the pics are in no order they were just laid out.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Thank you and i agree!

My brother is a tranny guy by trade and he did the jist of the work, seeings how im not very experienced with transmissions, i was there to pull it out and help.

Can someone explain to me why they think it was misinstalled? BTW the clutches in the pics are in no order they were just laid out.
This picture here is why people KNOW it was installed incorrectly. If you look at the apply plate (the thing with the springs attached to it) you can see that it was spinning against the clutch that was directly touching it. If the kit was installed correctly there is no way that could have happened because the plate and the clutch would have both been stationary clutches. If you look at some of the clutches, you will see some have splines on the inside and some on the outside. It should have had a clutch with external splines installed against the apply plate.

100_1000.jpg

AJ500

May 25, 2010
This picture here is why people KNOW it was installed incorrectly. If you look at the apply plate (the thing with the springs attached to it) you can see that it was spinning against the clutch that was directly touching it. If the kit was installed correctly there is no way that could have happened because the plate and the clutch would have both been stationary clutches. If you look at some of the clutches, you will see some have splines on the inside and some on the outside. It should have had a clutch with external splines installed against the apply plate.

100_1000.jpg

Ok i understand thanks for that.

Now where can i get another clutch pack:eek:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Id call mike or SC. Your going to need a new apply plate and backing plate too.

AJ500

May 25, 2010
Yep i took care of it today hopefully it'll be back together soon the right way

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You will want to change your spin on every 500 miles for a while. E shift valve has a tendancy to stick with the metal in the trans.