Machine shop instructions for heads

AKRiverRunner

Jun 2, 2013
Fairbanks, Alaska
Dropped my heads off at the local machine shop to get resurfaced. They said they could clean up the surface on a large belt sander but to mill the heads they would have to disassemble all the valves. Does this sound right?

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Why would you not want them to do a valve job while they have them anyway? At least check them out.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Dropped my heads off at the local machine shop to get resurfaced. They said they could clean up the surface on a large belt sander but to mill the heads they would have to disassemble all the valves. Does this sound right?

yes

highly suggest you do not have them use a belt sander to flatten it....

AKRiverRunner

Jun 2, 2013
Fairbanks, Alaska
I think there was just a little misunderstanding. After talking to them further they are going to check all the valves and mill up to .005 off the deck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I think there was just a little misunderstanding. After talking to them further they are going to check all the valves and mill up to .005 off the deck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I knew what you were getting at ;) :D. depending on miles, dont be surprised if they recommend you replaced all the guides in the heads

CancerPipe

Aug 8, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Just paid $960 to have a set redone with new guides and seals. Valve job with injector cups installed and pressure tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Whats the average cost to deck heads on a duramax im coming close to that point ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huge difference in price depending on your location and the quality of the shop. Give one a call.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk