LT Trim Removal

moorekh

Saved from a Dodge!!!
Dec 7, 2009
Harrodsburg, Ky
Is the black LT trim just stuck on the doors? These isn't any holes is there? I'm going to take mine off and just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have big holes in the doors afterwords!

770JOHNNYW

Sep 16, 2009
Gainesville ,Ga
no its on there with some really nasty shit!!!! if you trim the top layer of that glue off and then go to napa or a paint supply store and buy one of those eraser wheels that you put on a die grinder it will come right off....you will have to buff over were the emblem was because it will leave a slite haze where it was if you look at it from a certin direction:thumb:

rtcook

<--- Slow
Mar 3, 2009
Carlisle, Ky
Kyle, there is probably some guys around you that have the eraser wheel. I took some strong fishing line and went inbetween the glue and trim. Then used the wheel.

moorekh

Saved from a Dodge!!!
Dec 7, 2009
Harrodsburg, Ky
Right, I've got an eraser wheel and all. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't holes in the door behind it. I've made the mistake of doing something like that on an older Jeep and little did I know that there were plastic clips in the metal! wups! lol

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
These trucks definitely look better with the trim removed.

Oh by the way, if you remove the plastic piece at the top of the tail gate, you will find holes behind it. Some models come with a "whale tail" piece that is held on with screws. Just in case you wanted to know.

Good luck! :thumb:

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
Yup. I took a tailgate cap from a 1500HD and put it on. I like it much better. That was $75. And then you have to get the screws if you don't already have them. And the nutserts. But IMOP it looks MUCH better.

moorekh

Saved from a Dodge!!!
Dec 7, 2009
Harrodsburg, Ky
yeah I knew the tailgate had holes. I have a 99 truck that had one broke off and had to buy a new one.

Thanks for the advise!

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
this thread just brought back fond memories of when i debadged my truck. wherever there was a badge you will find scratches. i did a horrible job:eek:. i didnt know the heat gun made the paint soft:rofl: but i sure did find out:rofl:

good thing its my truck:D

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
All I did (and I'm sure I got lucky on this for once in my life.), was took a plastic scraper and shoved it in between the truck and trim. Got the corner up, grabbed it and yanked it off. then I hit it with the eraser wheel to get off all the tape and adhesive. Only broke one of the 4 pieces. Still have them too.