low rail pressure

HDLBZ

Dec 21, 2013
Waynesboro, Pa
HDLBZ what tuner are you running? also did you install a draw straw with your lift pump and what was your fuel level at?
Running a predator only run the lite tow tune but have been on stock since having the problems . I didn't put in a suction tube . Starting last week i'm getting a P0103 mass air signal high it may be a wiring issue with the finger stick or a bad stick.I can't afford to drop it off at a shop and let someone spend my money on parts it don't need , everyone says to put injectors in it but i checked the rate and +2.3 was the highest in drive .Ive checked them when the truck limps and when it runs so good you can't brake it, all the same numbers.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
DAMNIT IT HAPPENED AGAIN!

Coldest day in 20 years here. 2* and i had it plugged in all night, started up like a champ, warmed for 30, ran well until i shut if off at mcdonalds for like 2 mins. Started back up and that was it. Kept choking out on me. I added the second half of the bottle of power service and nothing. I start it up and it dies within 30 seconds. Not sure what to do to get home from work at 3

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
If you are gelled up get some 911 diesel additive and remove your fuel filter screw on with 911 in filter or replace filter with new one and add 911 then poor the rest of the bottle in the tank. You will need to bleed air out with fuel plunger on filter housing if not running a lift pump. After filter is replaced crank engine then depress plunger on filter housing until it gets hard next use a big flathead screw driver and crack the black bleeder screw loose to let air escape. Tighten bleeder and repeat process until all air is gone. Good luck.;)

dmaxbitt

Hook 'Em
Mar 22, 2012
Fort Loudon, PA
Mine has started doing the same thing...after a long warm up on high idle it started throwing the 0087 code...help please as I am also on a tight budget right now. This is my daily driver and has never done this until the cold weather....added some of the 911 additive yesterday...no change.

Instead of starting a new thread:

Today is the coldest and windiest day so far. Temps are 18 and wind chill is in negatives. First day of the year this cold. Going to work I warmed up the truck for at least 20-30 mins. Leavin early, only about 3-5mins. Not long enough but im sick as a dog and needed to get home. About 4 miles along my path home the truck wouldnt go above 2000rpms and had very little power. I was in 4x4 because the back roads havent been cleared from the snow storm last night. It died on me 3 times in the mile it took to get home. I limped it into the driveway. Im throwing poo87 so here is my assumption after using the search:

My tank has maybe 10-15 gallons in it, and it wasnt warmed up long enough. Im guessing the cold weather caused some gelling in my fuel and that is the culprit. Truck runs like a raped ape. 136,000 miles and very well taken care of before I got it. I need to update my sig. But im curious what you knowledgable people think, as Im a diesel newb. I plan to head to advanced auto for some additive if you folks suggest it.

Thoughts?

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
If you are gelled up get some 911 diesel additive and remove your fuel filter screw on with 911 in filter or replace filter with new one and add 911 then poor the rest of the bottle in the tank. You will need to bleed air out with fuel plunger on filter housing if not running a lift pump. After filter is replaced crank engine then depress plunger on filter housing until it gets hard next use a big flathead screw driver and crack the black bleeder screw loose to let air escape. Tighten bleeder and repeat process until all air is gone. Good luck.;)

Thanks. Did this. Worked like a charm. We got the LAST bottle of 911 at NAPA. Helps I know the manager from a shooting forum. He saved my ass. Took us about 15 minutes to replace the filter and 30 to bleed and prime the system to get it to start. It was stubborn but off it went.

We noticed it was definitely time for a new filter anyway, as my dash said 35% life. Im guessing this happens because of condensation built up in an old filter? I hope I wont have to do this every time its cold. I added a little 911 to the tank, filled the filter with it halfway too. Runs like a champ today, well I at least made it to work.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Thanks. Did this. Worked like a charm. We got the LAST bottle of 911 at NAPA. Helps I know the manager from a shooting forum. He saved my ass. Took us about 15 minutes to replace the filter and 30 to bleed and prime the system to get it to start. It was stubborn but off it went.

We noticed it was definitely time for a new filter anyway, as my dash said 35% life. Im guessing this happens because of condensation built up in an old filter? I hope I wont have to do this every time its cold. I added a little 911 to the tank, filled the filter with it halfway too. Runs like a champ today, well I at least made it to work.

Glad that worked for ya. I run either power services or stanadyne in every tank of fuel year round. Out here in Wyo we have got some -25 - -30 below days this year and knock on wood no gelling up yet. It must be working.:thumb:

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Glad that worked for ya. I run either power services or stanadyne in every tank of fuel year round. Out here in Wyo we have got some -25 - -30 below days this year and knock on wood no gelling up yet. It must be working.:thumb:

Awesome. You lucky man living in WY. My favorite state. I always try to make it to Frontier Days. Ill be moving to Colorado soon, and would like to eventually end up near Cheyenne Wy if I can find work. Maryland is a shithole.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I can't afford to drop it off at a shop and let someone spend my money on parts it don't need , everyone says to put injectors in it but i checked the rate and +2.3 was the highest in drive .Ive checked them when the truck limps and when it runs so good you can't brake it, all the same numbers.

Balance rates won't necessarily tell you for certain if your injectors are bad. You need to do a return rate test to see if there is one or more returning too much fuel back to the tank. That is what is going to cause a low rail pressure problem, and you can't check it with a scan tool.

HDLBZ

Dec 21, 2013
Waynesboro, Pa
thanks for the input thats the best feedback I've got on here everyone keeps saying about checking them with the scanner . So do they have to be removed to test them? if they're bad can they be rebuilt or dose the injector need replaced

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
thanks for the input thats the best feedback I've got on here everyone keeps saying about checking them with the scanner . So do they have to be removed to test them? if they're bad can they be rebuilt or dose the injector need replaced

You can test them in the truck. You just have to get some adapters to hook into the fuel return port. Kent Moore tool J-45873-30 is the kit of 4 adapters that you need. Once you have those you'll need some barb adapter fittings to thread into the side of those, some hose, and some graduated cylinders, or you can buy Kent Moore tool J-45873 which has all the hoses, fittings, and graduated cylinders (just to be clear, this kit does not include the adapters in J-45873-30).

If you want to do it the really cheap way, you can use one of the 90 degree return fittings from one of your injectors and test them one at a time, doing it this way can make a big mess though.

They should not return more than 5 mL during a 15 second crank cycle.