Losing Bed Weight

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
I was wondering if you guys could guide me on lossing some bed weight. I want to completely chop everything possible. If anyones got pics of a bed with just cross beams for support or how you went about cutting please share!

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Here is a few pics, We kept the front stock and also left the rear posts untouched so you can still attach a tail gate.

Ran some thin wall tubing and the odd support to the frame.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Have you considered a fiberglass bed?

Attachments

• 4efb2e4e.jpg
    4efb2e4e.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 391

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
I have but havent been able to find one. Maybe my searching skills need improvment. Any issues with the nitrous tank mounted side ways? Truck looks good!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
This is what I was talking about:
attachment.php

DSCF2211.jpg

attachment.php

I always wanted to see a pic of the Spruil's bed setup and how they mounted their sides.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thats a good point, Simon. Smart to leave the three sides, yet cut the floor and then use the "webbing". I thought those pics could give him a good idea on the way to mount the bedsides.

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Trents looks really good. I thats what i wanted to see. Just wanted side shirts but keeping part of the front and rear seems like a good idea.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Trents looks really good. I thats what i wanted to see. Just wanted side shirts but keeping part of the front and rear seems like a good idea.

Consider this, you cut it like I did, Then you can always go back after and cut more like Trent's.

But..... not the other way around :D

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
It's quite a bit of weight, I'd say 150-180lbs cut out doing it like above. What would take four guys to move before, only took two guys after gutting my old truck. I'd say it was 100-120lbs after the gutting.

I had Probably 50lb of dirt and another 50lbs of spray in bed liner:D GONE.

If you lose the spare tire holder and other crap it does add up on weight loss pretty quick

Those tires are M&H Race Master street radials

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Since you guys have cells, know the weight difference between the cell and stock tank? Or whats the reason for going fuel cell?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Since you guys have cells, know the weight difference between the cell and stock tank? Or whats the reason for going fuel cell?

you can put 5 gallons in a fuel cell and its full....thus keeping a hydrostatic head that's good for keeping your lift pump happy.

If you had 5 gallons in a OEM tank there is a good chance you will lose suction to your lift pump.

Also the fuel cell is lighter than a stock tank and most have suction coming off the bottom or very close to it,

Diesel fuel weighs over 7 lb. per US. gallon.

And it looks fkn cool :D

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo

I want to do one, one of the other reasons people do it it's to move weight to the rear of the truck. Something has to hold your fuel you can't totally ditch the weight but you can reduce it and move it back.

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Consider this, you cut it like I did, Then you can always go back after and cut more like Trent's.

But..... not the other way around :D

Any Idea what the truck weighs? I've been thinking about ditching the sump and stock tank. Considering I can sell both for about what a cell costs. Does your fuel level gauge still work or does your cell not have a sender?