lope with smoke

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
[YOUTUBE]pr8KP3mUjfg[/YOUTUBE]

seen this on diesel place,and i wanted your guys thoughts on this.

do you think its a cam with big sticks/cp3/turbo or tuning

Last edited by a moderator:

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
thanks kat!

well i first thought that,i have watched it a bunch of times,and i dont here the fuel knock,that you would get from tuning.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Big sticks and/or a tune. A cam will NOT make a diesel lope. The whole reason a big cam makes a gasser lope is that they generally cause low vacuum in the manifold, and this causes a two fold effect: the vacuum advance becomes inefective, and the fuel falls out of suspension.

If you have fuel or vacuum in the intake tract of your diesel, you better figure out whats wrong...LOL!

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
I have a few pet peevs, smoke tunes and lope tunes are some... i can understand the FNG thinking its cool until he grows into the sport,,,but guys that are "tuners" building this stuff commercially is like putting a a fart can on a civic and tuning it to backfire cause the customer thinks that makes it powerful...lol

just my .02... i see this lope tune thing whored out a ton and imho its friggn gay..

but hey to each his own!:thumb: How this guy got it to smoke,,tuning

Linden

Sparkplugs FTL
Dec 12, 2009
Florida
my truck idled like that but with out the smoke turns out there was a pin loose in my main harness

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
the only reason i posted this was because i tryed to do this,long time ago when i was new to efi live"teaching myself"

i kinda like this,but at the same time i know it does nothing for the truck. . .other than looks. . i just wanted your guys thoughts on this

Cbum

Feb 2, 2010
Church Point Louisiana
Big sticks and/or a tune. A cam will NOT make a diesel lope. The whole reason a big cam makes a gasser lope is that they generally cause low vacuum in the manifold, and this causes a two fold effect: the vacuum advance becomes inefective, and the fuel falls out of suspension.

If you have fuel or vacuum in the intake tract of your diesel, you better figure out whats wrong...LOL!

There are still a few old well really old to most of you diesels that had an intake vacum pulse because they were throttle governed commercial and industrial Nissan sd 22's old Perkins engines from tractor installs etc. They regulated speed operating speed by throttle the injection pump was always trying to accelerate to a point until internal govenror said enough.

Then there were dual fuel engines that many will argue were not true diesels . But while they had a carb and magnito they also had injector pump and injectors . They started on gas and once up to temp switched to diesel .

Also fuel down the intake there are some diesels that used and extra fuel injector in the intake followed by a rather large sparkplug fired by a hand activated / triggered coil and fuel pump to make a hot air flame front to help with cold starting in lue of glow plugs or heating grids.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
There are still a few old well really old to most of you diesels that had an intake vacum pulse because they were throttle governed commercial and industrial Nissan sd 22's old Perkins engines from tractor installs etc. They regulated speed operating speed by throttle the injection pump was always trying to accelerate to a point until internal govenror said enough.

Then there were dual fuel engines that many will argue were not true diesels . But while they had a carb and magnito they also had injector pump and injectors . They started on gas and once up to temp switched to diesel .

Also fuel down the intake there are some diesels that used and extra fuel injector in the intake followed by a rather large sparkplug fired by a hand activated / triggered coil and fuel pump to make a hot air flame front to help with cold starting in lue of glow plugs or heating grids.

Ok ok, but the point still stands that in 99.975% of cases, a change of cam, within reason, will not make a diesel lope. It is caused by tuning, big injectors, big injection pumps, misadjusted injection pumps, poor damping on throttle response....ect ect.

5seven4

FNG from AK
Feb 13, 2011
wasilla,ak
I have a few pet peevs, smoke tunes and lope tunes are some... i can understand the FNG thinking its cool until he grows into the sport,,,but guys that are "tuners" building this stuff commercially is like putting a a fart can on a civic and tuning it to backfire cause the customer thinks that makes it powerful...lol

just my .02... i see this lope tune thing whored out a ton and imho its friggn gay..

but hey to each his own!:thumb: How this guy got it to smoke,,tuning

X2 sounds like a couple of the cummins i see runnin around here

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Wondering how they got the smoke though. Idc what everyone on this site thinks I Think its cool

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Not sure on an LBZ, but on an LB7 just set the TBIQ cells in the 600 & 800 columns in the 0 row to something like 35 mm3 for a lope, or something like 80 mm3 to have an even more anoying idle with the smoke. Probably have to modify the MAF flow limiting tables some too. Just keep in mind this will be pretty violent, will shake the truck, make any slack in the drivetrain bang back and fourth over and over again, and just generally be pretty anoying.

'03duramax

I love cheer******s
Sep 16, 2006
WA
I like smoke for tailgaters and environmentalists (a lot of them in WA), but I'd be pissed if my truck did that. It reminds me of the hotrods that have stock motors with a gear drive, huge duration cam, and a tunnel ram just to look/sound cool.