Looking To Race Competitively

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
I've been toying with the idea of building my truck into a dedicated racing rig. Before I do though I thought it would be nice to actually compete in NHRDA events. I've always wanted to drag competitively, but never had a worthy vehicle, and I've raced every vehicle I have ever owned...-2. Now I'm running low 13's with goals of hitting 12's this year...and I just want to go faster. Now, the question portion...

What do I need to do? I've gone to the nhrda website and I'm a little lost. I know I'm in the sportsman class, but beyond that it's kinda over my head. Don't personally know anyone who competes so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. Not sure if being Canadian affects anything, don't think it should. So yeah, any of you who compete in NHRDA events (sportsman class anyone?) I'd appreciate any input and/or advice for someone looking to get competitive.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
What do you need to do? Have access to large amounts of money repeatedly! Then decide how fast you want to go.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Very Large amount of money. Like, whatever you think you need....times that by 4

And then after you spend the money to get your truck where it needs to be, some jack wagon in a beat up Dodge dually or a grampa'd out CCLB will run within .02 of his dial-in and crush your hopes of being a diesel truck racer.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
All you really need to do is show up to an event. You'll pay your money for the event and an NHRDA membership. You can buy your membership before hand online if you want.

You can go here: http://www.nhrda.com/drag_racing_rules.php and that will get you started on safety rules.

And since you're Canadian you are required to bring Gibson's whiskey for your American racing friends. That seems to be pretty popular for a lot of folks. I'm surprised Randy hasn't made it an official NHRDA rule. :D

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
All you really need to do is show up to an event. You'll pay your money for the event and an NHRDA membership. You can buy your membership before hand online if you want.

You can go here: http://www.nhrda.com/drag_racing_rules.php and that will get you started on safety rules.

And since you're Canadian you are required to bring Gibson's whiskey for your American racing friends. That seems to be pretty popular for a lot of folks. I'm surprised Randy hasn't made it an official NHRDA rule. :D

Gibsons I can do. JD lovers...quit drinking crap lol. So I guess I'll just start looking at where the events are in my area and go from there. So far I just need a helmet lol

I have a money tree. It's a little bare ATM, but I'm confident that the gold dust I feed it will start to produce.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
You truck is plenty fast enough the way it is. Start racing it a lot to get consistent so you can dial it in, the faster trucks in Sportman are more difficult to make consistent. A good low to mid 13 sec truck wins a lot.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Subman it right. Consistency is the key and a good reaction time.

I'm not an expert by any means but did win a couple sportsman ET races when I raced it. One thing I found is don't worry about swinging for the fence. You don't want to be right on the ragged edge on launching. Find a point where you can do it every single time. For me in my LMM it was 2000 rpm. Don't know how much boost and don't care. It also never ran its fastest et there. 2000 rpm was a big hash mark on the tach and turbos spooled fast enough all I had to do was put the needle on the mark and cut a good light. It would run run very consistent.

Best time slips I remember were a 12.611, 12.612, 12.613 back to back to back. It will work if you find that spot.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Subman it right. Consistency is the key and a good reaction time.

I'm not an expert by any means but did win a couple sportsman ET races when I raced it. One thing I found is don't worry about swinging for the fence. You don't want to be right on the ragged edge on launching. Find a point where you can do it every single time. For me in my LMM it was 2000 rpm. Don't know how much boost and don't care. It also never ran its fastest et there. 2000 rpm was a big hash mark on the tach and turbos spooled fast enough all I had to do was put the needle on the mark and cut a good light. It would run run very consistent.

Best time slips I remember were a 12.611, 12.612, 12.613 back to back to back. It will work if you find that spot.

2000 is actually the sweet spot I have used. Above or below that and my times began to scatter. I get a tighter time grouping at 2k. Right now I'm pretty well built to were I am comfortable. Until the truck is paid off. I just need my exhaust to wrap it all up.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
And then after you spend the money to get your truck where it needs to be, some jack wagon in a beat up Dodge dually or a grampa'd out CCLB will run within .02 of his dial-in and crush your hopes of being a diesel truck racer.

Dude I busted up LOLing at that one ^ so true:rofl: