Looking to buy a Duramax

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
How much are you looking at spending and what are you planning on using it for? What info are you looking for, there is plenty of info here on, the trick is finding it. Welcome to DD

bigjohn

GMC Dmax
Oct 13, 2012
Westview Pa
Welcome to DD! If your lookin to buy a Dmax I would go with the LBZ or a LMM I had a lb7 loved it but it was stress full to own when you don't know when your injectors was going to need replace. There are very knowledgable people on this site that will help you on what duramax to get.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I personally wouldn't be scared of anything 04.5 and newer. Loved my 03 but the LB7 injectors are kind of a turn off on the 04 and down.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Welcome,nothing wrong with a good LB7:D.I love mine easy to work on and if your looking to mod there are a lot of parts for sale for them.Also they get the best milage of the dmax line up.:thumb:

THduramax

Will it ever end!
Aug 15, 2012
Flaherty, ky
37k for my 2011
8ydy3unu.jpg

AgmansDuramax

Diesel Fanatic!
Feb 13, 2014
Missouri
For what it's worth, I just purchased my 2002 DMAX a couple days ago, it just had all the injectors replaced for the first time, and it has 235,000 on it. I just love the truck, it runs great, rides great (comfortable and roomy), has plenty of power, and it's basically bone stock (except for little bigger tires and exhaust), so I know it could have a lot more power too. I just searched around, a LOT, and bought the one that I thought was the best "bang for my buck", and that was in the price range I was looking for. Every make, and model truck has it's "quircks", but just listen to the experts here, they know what their talking about, and helped me out IMMENSLY, then just make the choice that's right for you. Welcome, and good luck on your search!
Jeff

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Buy as new as your budget allows.

If you're looking for the best engine series, it's the LLY.
As much as I love my LBZ, I have to agree with you. It seems that the most reliable Duramax so far has been the 05 LLY. The 04.5 sometimes had overheating problems other than that they were great too. The 01-04's ate injectors, The 06 and up are prone to cracked pistons. Is'nt the LLY really just an LB7 with good injectors that are easy to swap out?