Looking for tips on buying first Duramax.

mz71

Jul 13, 2015
Hey Guys, I am about to purchase my first diesel truck in the next week or two and am looking for some tips on what to look for. I have seen a few videos on looking for blow-by, and hazing at starting up thats about it... I want the newer 2007+ body style and worry too much about the CP4 issues so have decided to stick with LMM models around the 100k-120k mile range. Would I be smart to stay away from trucks that were used to pull their whole life and trucks that have already been deleted, leveled/lifted and larger tires? I plan to delete and to have tuned shortly after purchasing. Thanks in advance for any advice!

mz71

Jul 13, 2015
Thanks, I have been looking for quite a while, just was wondering what the general thoughts on buying a truck that was already deleted/tuned/leveled/bigger tires/5th wheel, etc. especially when from a dealer who has no knowledge of what was done to the truck. I'm having a very hard time finding a stock truck... I am willing to fly out to purchase the truck so have been looking everywhere within a 8hr drive to Nashville, TN. Unfortunately this means i have been limited to dealer pics and not seeing in person.

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
Thanks, I have been looking for quite a while, just was wondering what the general thoughts on buying a truck that was already deleted/tuned/leveled/bigger tires/5th wheel, etc. especially when from a dealer who has no knowledge of what was done to the truck. I'm having a very hard time finding a stock truck... I am willing to fly out to purchase the truck so have been looking everywhere within a 8hr drive to Nashville, TN. Unfortunately this means i have been limited to dealer pics and not seeing in person.

I get it man! I was dead set on having an LBZ. Most horsepower with least amount of emissions components. Mileage was a factor but it had low priority. What I was unwilling to budge on was it being stock. I found an 07 LBZ with 130k on it. An older gentleman from Ohio owned mine. Dealership services. All filters were ACDelco. Stock tires and wheels. I gave him an offer after the test drive. Couldn’t even try and hard ball him. He knew what he had and knew that motors desire and rarity. But by lord I couldn’t be happier with it. They are out there. It will take a few to find it but don’t settle. Nothing sucks more than buyers remorse.

mz71

Jul 13, 2015
Well I ended buying a 2007 LMM with 85k miles on it. Appears to be completely stock other than a B&W turnover ball.
What would you guys recommend for EGR/DPF delete kits, lift pump, PCV?
I would def want a kit that completely removes the egr cooler and a new up pipe. Is the Y Bridge upgrade necessary?
Should I plan on doing a PCV reroute?
Thanks again for the advice and answering my thousand questions. I've searched the forums but seems to be a lot of argument on this brand vs that brand...

Jun 27, 2017
Nebraska
Your off road race truck will not need a y bridge, just stick with a reputable brant for the cold side pipe, profab, wcfab, deviant, sdp, hsp all make pretty good stuff and for price of mind profab makes a strap to hold in the stock elbow. For PCV reroute, just grab it with the cold side pipe from one of the guys listed above. For a lift pump, I like the air dog, but the next guy might like Fast or Fuel lab, just get a quality kit.