Looking at my 1st DMAX 2008 w/ 62,000mi

Justin1995

Apr 8, 2017
Hello guys, new to the forum. Although I'm not entirely new to diesel trucks. I've owned a 2000 7.3 and so did my dad. We've both since then switched to gassers and I'm looking to get into a diesel again. I worked for a farmer who always had and still does have chevy diesels Always liked them more than my truck. But those were lb7s. Anyways Long story short I found a 2008 ECLB 4x4 Chevy 2500 LT with 62,000 miles. Yes just 62,000!! It's fully deleted (no emissions in my area or any counties around us) and has EFI live. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. My question is other than the obvious what are some of the major things to look out for when buying one? Also I'm not too familiar with EFI live at all, I've done a little research and these years seem to be pretty decent if RT is kept up? And from what I understand EFI live is the way to go because it's costomizeable, but sometimes you can get a bad time and have some real problems with the truck? Just looking for any help. What did you guys wish you would have known when you bought yours? Thanks in advance. -justin

Justin1995

Apr 8, 2017
Thank you. I just talked to him again and he said the EFI live is older and is directly tuned into the computer and is about 100hp over stock. Is this concerning? Or is 100hp safe on a truck that's fully deleted with a 4" exhaust? Again I no nothing about EFI live.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Grab a beer and get comfy in front of that keyboard. You have lots of reading to do;) If it's a '08 you have a LMM. You're already ahead by having it deleted and tuned. A 100hp tune is a great overall tune. Does it have a DSP5 switch? If so, you have 5 tunes to choose from. Does it shift well? Like was said, check the usual: leaks, front end, rust. Does it smoke at idle? My LMM has a very slight haze at idle but from speaking with a few other LMM owners that are tuned and deleted, it seems pretty common. Any way for you to check injector balance rates?

Justin1995

Apr 8, 2017
I figured as much! I asked him already about the switch. He said it just has one single 100hp tune. Which is where I'm the most confused. He said the older EFI live tuning back when he deleted it didn't offer the switch? Does that sound right? I haven't seen the truck yet but I've been texting/on the phone with him a few times. He seems like a really decent guy (which are the ones you have to watch out for the most I've learned). With only 62,000 miles Id like to assume nothing should be terribly wrong with it. Again I really appreciate the help guys. Especially being the FNG.

Justin1995

Apr 8, 2017
And no I don't have a way to check the injector balance rates. From what I've read so far the injectors don't seem to have problems in these models. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would be most worried about the health of the transmission with the 100 hp tune. Depending on how the owner treated and drove it the transmission may be fine with many more years of life in it, or it be on its way out. Give it a test drive, preferably without the owner riding along so you can do a few hard runs and see how the transmission shifts.

You don't need to go wot but a good strong acceleration and feel how it shifts.

Justin1995

Apr 8, 2017
Absolutely. That makes perfect sense. Allisons are known for being pretty decent though correct? Especially the 6 speeds?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The allisons are most definitely a strong reliable transmission, but like anything, abused it won't last. 100 hp over stock is pushing the limit of a stock transmission. But if not driven hard there shouldn't be any problems

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
Just a forewarning if you drive it hard… And he hasn't for quite a while. Then it's probably going to flare on the shifts. The Transmission will be a custom to lazy slow shifts and it will freak out a little

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
If you have $85ish bucks to meet the guy somewhere to hook up to a tech 2 it at a local shop it would be worth the while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
If you have someone available to you that knows what they're looking for I'd highly recommend bringing them along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin1995

Apr 8, 2017
thank you for responding everyone! I got there and left within the first 5 mins. The truck had completely rusted through above one of the wheel wells. And the other side wasn't far behind it. The front two tires had decent tread and the backs were bald. How does that happen? And finally he put 2.5" torsion keys in it and left the factory UCA's in it and didn't put new shocks or stock extensions on it. I was pretty upset as he was asking $29,500 for it and claimed it was well taken care of and in good shape. Oh well there's plenty more out there

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Wow $29,500 in that condition?! He's dreaming. My buddy's '07 CCLB LBZ with only 54K miles is in mint shape and he's asking $25K. Lots of good trucks out there. But they aren't easy to find.