Look I built a jet engine

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
C-130s also have pitch changing props. They have reverse thrust when landing to help slow down and they can back up.

Out of curiosity, what kind of degree do you have, Ben?

I thought he was going to be a dentist for the miss-fit toys on the North Pole for Santa- :confused:

I have one of those props (c 130) here at my shop ,complete minus the very end of the nose cone.

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
C-130s also have pitch changing props. They have reverse thrust when landing to help slow down and they can back up.

Out of curiosity, what kind of degree do you have, Ben?

All turboprops have variable pitch props, as far as I know. They kind of have to because its the only way they would be able to control thrust while keeping the engine rpm somewhat constant. Otherwise the engine would be producing tons of thrust and overcome the airplanes wheel-brakes, even at idle. Also, if you put it into coarse pitch (max thrust) at [idle-power level output], the load would be so great on the engine that you might stall it or slow it down too much. So on the ground they can put the prop into a setting that produces less thrust and therefore less drag on the engine, letting it "idle" at a low fuel-rate level and low actual thrust-produced level (so the plane isnt trying to walk through the brakes)

I think most turboprops' propellers are reverseable as well. However we try NOT to use reverse unless we are landing on a short runway and absolutely need it. Reason being its hard on the prop governors/pitch changing mechanism (when you use reverse thrust), and it throws up a LOT sand/dirt/debris that could get get sucked into the engine inlet.

Liberal arts

Last edited:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
You can check it out anytime you want. I have all the pitch mechanisms I believe.Just missing the bullet end of the nose cone which sucksI have the big section although of the nose cone. It was rebuilt at General Dynamics or McDougall Douglas (?) if I recall. It was a long time I did some research on it. Long story how I ended up with it. It's all crated up

Some guy offered me $2500 bucks for it sight on seen but I didn't sell it. I have no use for it . Would be cool hung up in a barn spinning although. You can change the pitch from winter to summer. :D

Last edited: