Long term motor storage.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
I'm taking a perfectly good LMM out of my truck and it only has 12k on it. I changed the oil and got it good and hot before I started to pull the motor. Just looking for any tips to make sure it will be fine to be stored for 2-5 yrs. I actually have no idea how long it will be stored for but want to make sure it is done right. It will be stored in my heated shop. My dad told me to squirt oil down into the injector holes because that's what he does for gas engines, just want to make sure that's fine for diesels.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Need to plug every hole that is open. also take the valve covers off and back the valaves off nice taking the pressure off the valve spring since its will be not used and it will also seal off the bores. If your keeping it somewere you can get to it easy I would make it were I could prime the oil system and turn the crank over a few times but take the glow plugs out and spray some wd-40 in when you do that also.and when done reinstall the glow plugs.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Those are the idea's I was looking for thanks Henry. I have to rig up a prelube system for my new motor before I start it so it could work on my motor in storage.