long distance traveling for a month

Painkiller

Jan 6, 2012
Oak Harbor, Wa
Ok, I’m looking for a little advice on what I should do next…. My main motivation behind this is I will be taking my 34’ 5th wheel on about a month long vacation in May. Our route is going to be from Washington state, to NE Iowa, down to Oklahoma, then over to Vegas and back up to WA. You can see what I have and mods in my sig below.

I want to do anything I can now for better performance/mileage/safety of the engine that I can before then. I am almost done changing out all my fluids from the front axle to the rear so everything is fresh… Had 45k or so on most of it except engine of course….

I have been looking at the AirDog II(or similar additional filter), downpipe, Banks intake scoop, PPE deep trans pan…. Anything else?

So, what do you all think that have done some long distance extended towing? Is any of this necessary (a good idea) or just a bunch of “wants” and I’m over thinking it and not trusting my “somewhat stock” truck?

Thanks for any advice provided. Again, current mods are in my sig below….

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
You are on the right track.

I would look at getting a W/M setup to help with some MPG. lotsofmiles (James) has seen alot of good from it.

A lift pump is always good. The PPE deep trans pan is nice and I have one but for towing I would look at something like a AUX trans cooler I know Mike L used to sell them but I cant remember if is stopped making the kit. Someone will jump in and say. A LBZ mouthpiece will help it get more air to the turbo.

Also remember to clean/change the air filter before you go.

Painkiller

Jan 6, 2012
Oak Harbor, Wa
awesome, thanks.

I'll do a bit more research on the w/m stuff...

The Airdog, I've been looking at pretty heavily. Just not sure about the $700 price tag right now. But the benifits of both assisting with fuel delivery and filtering I like a lot.

I already have a PPE deep pan that I ordered on a whim. Once I got it and opened the box, I was amazed at just how huge(deep) it was. I mocked up a straight line from the front cross member to the aft cross memeber then cut a piece of cardboard to the same size/depth of the pan.... the PPE pan will stick below my cross memebers by about 1.5-2"... is that too far below the truck? :confused:

I thought about the aux trans cooler but unless I was looking at the wrong cooler, it is already almost half the size of the radiator. (very first cooler infront?)

I would do the LBZ mouth piece but I already have the Banks intake... will it bolt up to the LBZ or would I have to hack up the Banks? Banks put the MAF sensor very near the mouth piece end of the intake so I'd be afraid it would interfear with it... otherwise if the banks intake is no good, I could put my stock intake and box back in...

Not trying to shoot down your assistance, just wanted to let you (and others) know that I have already done some research on these ideas. I just need confermation and inputs on what will or wont work from those of you that have more experience and knowledge with these trucks and the aftermarket parts for them.

Thanks again. Any more ideas?

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Water meth x's 100.
As far as lift pump... Look at the raptors. They are just the motors (no filter) they are much cheaper Than a $700 air dog. If you want, you can plumb in a cat filter and filter head so you still get the filtration benefits. There is a couple threads on that setup if your curious/want pics.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
awesome, thanks.

I'll do a bit more research on the w/m stuff...

The Airdog, I've been looking at pretty heavily. Just not sure about the $700 price tag right now. But the benifits of both assisting with fuel delivery and filtering I like a lot.

I already have a PPE deep pan that I ordered on a whim. Once I got it and opened the box, I was amazed at just how huge(deep) it was. I mocked up a straight line from the front cross member to the aft cross memeber then cut a piece of cardboard to the same size/depth of the pan.... the PPE pan will stick below my cross memebers by about 1.5-2"... is that too far below the truck? :confused:

I thought about the aux trans cooler but unless I was looking at the wrong cooler, it is already almost half the size of the radiator. (very first cooler infront?)

I would do the LBZ mouth piece but I already have the Banks intake... will it bolt up to the LBZ or would I have to hack up the Banks? Banks put the MAF sensor very near the mouth piece end of the intake so I'd be afraid it would interfear with it... otherwise if the banks intake is no good, I could put my stock intake and box back in...

Not trying to shoot down your assistance, just wanted to let you (and others) know that I have already done some research on these ideas. I just need confermation and inputs on what will or wont work from those of you that have more experience and knowledge with these trucks and the aftermarket parts for them.

Thanks again. Any more ideas?

The air dog is a very good pump and thats what I run on my 05, but for a (LLY) tow rig, it would not be near the top of my "To Do List"... The LBZ mouth piece is a worth while mod IMO. You might have to cut/fab the Banks intake to accomadate the mouth piece but Im not certain with the banks:confused:. I know I had to mod my AFE intake awhile back when I added the LBZ mouth piece. Speaking of the Banks intake, its a well designed intake IMO, but alot of people dont like them because they use a K&N oiled filter which has caused problems for some turbo engines (MAF sensors) in the past. The factory Intake is also well designed and it has been dyno proven that there are no substantial gains to be had with a aftermarket intake at or below 500 RWHP.. Point being I would rather have a factory Intake/filter and LBZ mouthpiece then the Banks / factory LLY mouth piece IMO... The PPE deep pan is a nice looking piece but $$Pricey$$, I would not worry about the clearance at all for a over the highway truck. Did you get the Deep pan filter and filter lock to go with it? I opted to use a factory Allison deep pan , filter, and suncoast filter lock due to its about 1/3rd the cost of the PPE and similar.. The furthest forward and smallest cooler is your transmission cooler. Mike L has a really nice one that works great from what I have read. I'm cheap so I bought one from Jegs for around $200.00 that has significantly decreased my transmission Temp and has been flawless for the last 12 months or so I have used it. A aftermarket Intercooler would help with EGT's some but again for the money (1k-1,300) it would not be high on my priority list for a occasional tow rig.. To sum it up, I would say make sure all your fluids are fresh and at the correct levels, Get rid of the LLY mouth piece, and enjoy your travels worry free;)

Painkiller

Jan 6, 2012
Oak Harbor, Wa
Thanks custom8726.

It looks like I already have an external trans cooler installed then. I'm not going to worry about changing that out right now. If it was an "in the radiator" type, then I might.

I still have my stock airbox/intake so I may do another trial run and reinstall it to see if my mileage or power changes. I honestly didnt notice any gains when I first installed the Banks a couple years ago... and that alway just happened to be about the time my mileage began to decrease... But I had done a couple other mods at the same time so I cant say thats what caused it...Thats another story for another time.

I just ordered the AirDog II and AFE mouthpiece last night. Went with the AFE since there is no cutting or hacking required. I can try it with either intake. And thanks for the confidence on the AD2. It can only help I believe.

I may just have to put the PPE pan up and see it installed to get a real good idea on how it fits.

I also ordered the AEM water/meth. Price was right so i figured what the hell..

And ofcourse ALL my fluids are getting changed out and will be fresh.

Thanks for all the ideas from everyone, I'm feeling better and am looking forward to the trip... not that I wasnt before, just more reassurance in the truck. :thumb:

cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
Good i didnt see that in your sig. Get a good fuel additive and a fuel filter. I dont think you need anything else for this task you should be fine. HAVE FUN.

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
A set of gauges is always a good idea when towing-- High EGT can destroy an engine. A boost gauge will show how the engine is performing and can help with the mileage if you monitor it. Lower pressure, and you are not using as much fuel.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I would opt to change the factory transmission cooler. It has been known to be inefficient.

I would also block the EGR and finger stick it. It helped mine by lowering normal operating temps slightly.

You may also want to look into putting a power steering cooler on the truck if you are towing for long hours through the mountains. Since the power steering controls the brake booster, using the brakes a lot will work the fluid causing it to get hot.

Check your front hubs before you leave. ANY play in either and I would plan on replacing. You might want to look online. A couple of places offer lifetime warranty for a little extra. My first hub went out at about 83K and the second at 90k. Not hard to do on your own.

Painkiller

Jan 6, 2012
Oak Harbor, Wa
I'm going to look into the cooler possibly....

I do plan on checking into the p/s cooler and filter. Definite inexpensive insurance and easy install... I just need to re-read the thread on them, I cant remember if people were recomending the 8.1 cooler or the 6.6 cooler for a straight bolt on w/o modification to the hoses.

thanks for the ideas.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
the PPE trans cooler is the same as the Mike L. Call Mike at inglewood if he does not have a kit, he can suggest a replacement.

jevanb

Feb 28, 2011
montrose, michigan
first replace the tires on your trailer and get e or greater, DO not stay with the st tires or you risk a blow out, looking your sig you are good to go, my father in law tows a 38ft 16k 5er across the US every year with his cc sb 06, he puts 20k or better with the trailer attached and it just keep on working..