Lmm whine..video attached

TexasDiesels

Mar 20, 2017
I posted this on DF originally, bringing it over here for more input. I also want to mention that it is not just turbo whistle I'm hearing - there is a low pitched whine that can be heard in the video, best in the last half of the clip. may need headphones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nnb17MNfEM

So my water pump started leaking, changed it and the t stats. Thats when the whining started. I changed the pump again under warranty from MA, and sure enough the bearing was shot in it; made a squeaky noise as I moved it and it really didnt want to spin much, BUT it managed to do its job in the 600 miles i had it on. The new pump fixed the whine for all of 20 minutes, but again temperatures are perfect and I really doubt I got another bad pump. So I changed my belt and all the idler pulleys, including the tensioner - this did not solve the whine. I checked my ps fluid and it was low and was making a really bad noise when it was running with the cap off. I filled it and it did quiet down a little bit. I'm not getting the whining and pulsing really bad when I turn or brake, but I could never bleed all the air out of it the last time it was changed. the Hydroboost unit shit out on me one day and I didnt have time, so I took it to my buddies shop. He threw a cheap reman unit in it, don't think he changed the actual ps pump. Is that my next project? Or should I be taking a peak into my turbo compressor? I'm not having boost or egt issues.

Boost leak can't be ruled out either, I went through and tightened every boot I could but I still haven't hooked it up to a compressor. thoughts?

Extremely displeased with this years game of "guess that noise"

TexasDiesels

Mar 20, 2017
I'm leaning to PS pump as well, anyone know how to diagnose a bad pump? would be nice to know before I start tossing parts on! thanks

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Use a stethoscope. If it makes noise at idle you should be able to isolate it to a specific component. And if you want to rule out any belt driven component, start the truck with the belt off and see if noise is gone. That'll help eliminate another bad water pump. But I've seen multiple bad aftermarket water pumps. Never had issues with GM ones