Lmls with "bad motors"

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
We had the lb7 and lml hooked up to the trailers in the drive way and i see an lml come down the drive he pulls up and it is running awful!! He claims he has 3 lml's for sale all with bad motors. I ask what he means by bad motors and he just says they hit 250k and fell apart... The bodies are awsome interiors are nice just curious if there has been a comon failure you all know about. He has ltz 1 ton dually 4x4 for around 22k which is too kuch in my opinion but if he would come down...

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Well i would say the "bad motor" lml's arent worth my time or money. The guy is negotiable and the trucks are nice but im gonna hold out and see how the lml in our driveway holds up

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Are these stock truck failures? and how many are we talking about that you guys have seen pumps,cranks,pistons? Hard working towers and recreational usual use trucks?
Thanks for the great real world info! :thumb:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
We had an lml in the shop last week with a broken crank. It has just over 200 k miles, bone stock but we think it towed a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
We have a tuned and deleted one here that just went past 225 running fine tows moderate and gets raced around on the streets he's like me changes his oil every 3k deleted the egr has a fass and takes care of it I've seen all models fail under crappie treatment and lots of towing

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Well our highway trucks dont see the best treatment, my sister does the majority of the heavy long hauls, she figures if the truck can go 80-90 with a full gcwr plus some that the truck was intended for that use. Trying to get her be a little easier with iur dads investments, but she argues the lb7 did flat out hauling for nearly 400k the lml should be fine.

Just a bit uneasy. No different than when i found out lbz's crack pistons... Mine never did and i ran the piss out of it for years. So im sure it will end up in the back of my mind

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Most of the guys that have been calling in are towers and the occasion hotrodder but 85% are towing with them for a living. Long duty cycles at full power is hard on everything but these aren't fairing as good as some of the earlier trucks did. I have a bunch of customers with 500k+ on their trucks before they have any major issues. Had one a couple months ago have an lly pop a piston at 800k and he was impressed it lived that long because the only thing it does is tow heavy 24/7. The heavy emissions control products on them seem to be having an affect on longevity.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I have a question about this. Are any of you having oil pump issues? Mine has a whine at first start up in the morning and I've read its the oil pump. No issues with pressure just the whine. :confused:

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
No noise on mine. Kinda depressing to think about this truck having problems. Guess we will see. Mine does not commute, but does tow quite a bit.

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
Seems like the broken cranks and I'm assuming insufficient oil cooling continues. Kinda makes me want to look at a cummins for my next DD tow vehicle. Sad.