LML upgrade suggestions

mopar440cu

Duramax Newbie
Jul 14, 2018
FL
Hi everyone!
I just picked up a 2012 Silverado 3500 4x4 WT with a duramax motor and Allison transmission with 37K miles and was wondering what would be the first mods you would suggest? This truck is not going to race or offroad. It is for pulling a 16' trailer for my aluminum extrusion company. I own a bunch of Cummins trucks, but never a Duramax so its a whole new ball game. I have ordered a service manual for it, but figured I could learn stuff from you guys also.

On our Cummins we start by installing gauges first then start getting rid of the junk lift pump and install AirDog165 's and put in a 1/2" fuel line. Then comes the bigger air filters and so on...

My questions to you is.

1-Is this the same basic steps as described above with these motors?

2-I know it has a CP4 fuel pump, but does it have a in tank sender? I am guessing an Airdog would help out with fuel delivery.

3-What would you suggest for air filter setup? Or leave it stock?

4-What type of tuner to get? LML has a EGR, Cat, DPF & DEF.

5- Should I delete all of these, LML has a EGR, Cat, DPF & DEF? Or just some? What kit to do this is best?

6- What about a throttle booster?

Thanks for any suggestions!:thumb:

Last edited:

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I suggest a lift pump on any lml just for added filtration and helps fuel deleivery tremedously. Airdog 165 is a good choice.

Leave the Intake stock as it's not absolutely needed, although Idaho Rob did do a test with a s&b filter set up and it's gained some nice hp on a stock tune.

Deletes aren't really talked much around here, but get EFI live from reputable tuner and they will be able to help you.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Hi everyone!
I just picked up a 2012 Silverado 3500 4x4 WT with a duramax motor and Allison transmission with 37K miles and was wondering what would be the first mods you would suggest? This truck is not going to race or offroad. It is for pulling a 16' trailer for my aluminum extrusion company. I own a bunch of Cummins trucks, but never a Duramax so its a whole new ball game. I have ordered a service manual for it, but figured I could learn stuff from you guys also.

On our Cummins we start by installing gauges first then start getting rid of the junk lift pump and install AirDog165 's and put in a 1/2" fuel line. Then comes the bigger air filters and so on...

My questions to you is.

1-Is this the same basic steps as described above with these motors?

2-I know it has a CP4 fuel pump, but does it have a in tank sender? I am guessing an Airdog would help out with fuel delivery.

3-What would you suggest for air filter setup? Or leave it stock?

4-What type of tuner to get? LML has a EGR, Cat, DPF & DEF.

5- Should I delete all of these, LML has a EGR, Cat, DPF & DEF? Or just some? What kit to do this is best?

6- What about a throttle booster?

Thanks for any suggestions!:thumb:

Lift pump is a greet add on. If you’re u have the funds full delete and cp3 swap is nice. I have most of the parts new I never used on my lml. Selling them all discounted and also can supply you with lift pump and tuning for your truck.

mopar440cu

Duramax Newbie
Jul 14, 2018
FL
Lift pump is a greet add on. If you’re u have the funds full delete and cp3 swap is nice. I have most of the parts new I never used on my lml. Selling them all discounted and also can supply you with lift pump and tuning for your truck.
What parts are we talking about you have? I’m a neophyte on Duramax, but learning.

You cam pm me if you want with prices.

Thanks!!