LML tuning

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
No one would care about the 50 bucks if efi supported deletes.

Wht do you mean IF? They DO support deletes, just not for those in the US. And it has nothing to do with the customers, or lack of them wanting to offer it, but everything to do with our EPA. As to obtaining LML tunes, I can't blame people for charging for them. It's not like they can just go out, plug into the data port, and read one out for you. They have to get an ECM, open it up without destroying it, solder the VERY FRAGILE circuit board to enable reading ability, flash the required tune file using GM software to the modified ECM, THEN read it out using the jumper and there own 3rd party obtained software and equipment. So it's not jsut a simple ordeal to do it half way legally. I just lucked out, and got those files before they were deleted after somebody north of the border had hosted them on 4share for all to find and download if you felt like waiting through all the popups, ads, and clicks to get them. It's no where near a complete tune file repository though, and those tuners you pay for a file can get you the hard to find tune files.

I'm just trying to pay it forward as I still remeber being green to tuning, and having some others help me to wrap my head around this, as well as several people helping me out with tune files over the years, and still to this day having others who know more than me help me out with problems I had.

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Sorry if that sounded negative ferm. I am VERY green to tuning and will never be a pro.

I meant it such that, there isn't as big of a market for guys wanting to do their own tuning on the lml because many buy a v2 to do deletes (say to put an exhaust on an lmm), and be able to have extra features not limited by an autocal.

I know the process for getting lml files and tuning has huge up front costs and the $50 is more than likely to help get some return.

BigTexas68

BigTexas68
Jan 9, 2012
East Texas
I don't mess around much with the LMLs, but I was tuning on a 2011 today that has had a CP3 conversion done with a Fleece CP3K. I usually run around 1650 microseconds on the pulse width on a hot tune, and I see a decent drop in rail pressure, but on this truck, I bumped it all the way up to 2000, and it was all over 200 MPa. Since there is no pulse width PID for the LML, I can't verify that it is actually doing what I commanded. I'm wondering what kind of pulse width you guys have been getting out of a CP3 converted LML.

With a stock cp4 I have had a hard time maintaining desired rail pressure with anything over 1550+/- but I've ran as much as 2150 microseconds with the Fleece cp3 conversion & a Danville 3794 and that is working to the 130mm reference line.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
There is a reason I charge $50/per TIS file and it is not just for LML's.

Anyone is free to invest in over $6K in third party hardware and software for yanking .BINS out of LML ecms.

Anyone is free to purchase all of the different bench harnesses for every GM ECM LB7-LML and even the new Colorado as well as all of the TCM Controllers, AL5, A40, A50 and T87 and have each and every one of those ecms in stock as well as the necessary power supplies and CAN Terminating hardware for it to work.

Anyone is also free to pay the yearly TIS subscription ( $1000 or so ) and figure out a way to avoid the "OFF-BOARD Programming Message" that now occurs if you do not have your bench harness configured correctly to fool their system of checks.

Anyone who tunes these knows that the fuel tank segments, system segments, etc are all not the same, and if you didn't have people that can supply the stock tunes then a lot of trucks would not be getting tuned or if they did they would not be running the correct OS/Segments in a lot of cases.

I am in business to be profitable, I am not supporting Bernie or Hillary because nothing is free............even stock tunes.

:roflmao:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Thanks Tony. I have never complained about having to buy stock tunes because I knew there was a lot more involved (especially for the LML trucks since they can't be read out like the others), but even I didn't realize it was that complicated.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
No kidding. Sounds like a major pain.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
To be clear, I'm not speaking of people who ACTUALLY invested in the hardware and software to read out tune files. I'm speaking of people who collected them for free, from various repositories online, and are charging for them.:thumb:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
If you guys knew how many I have pulled in the last two years and how much time it eats up and how many trucks have benefited from the Stock TIS Files, not just from me either.

Once a shop or customer buys one its unlocked and 100% stock and their file, I have no way to limit if they resell or not.

The 11-14 are common, but the 15 and 15.5 are not as common to find and the 16's are too new and I have pulled quite a few already !!

I just wanted everyone to understand that its not just a trivial and easy thing as reading a stock tune VIA OBD2 Port as in the past.

BTW, Tech Authority for Cummins is $1800/year !!!

;)

Some of my friends in CT have seen the process, this is what a Binary Read looks like when being extracted

Attachments

• 20140228_120730.jpg
    20140228_120730.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 137

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If you guys knew how many I have pulled in the last two years and how much time it eats up and how many trucks have benefited from the Stock TIS Files, not just from me either.

Once a shop or customer buys one its unlocked and 100% stock and their file, I have no way to limit if they resell or not.

The 11-14 are common, but the 15 and 15.5 are not as common to find and the 16's are too new and I have pulled quite a few already !!

I just wanted everyone to understand that its not just a trivial and easy thing as reading a stock tune VIA OBD2 Port as in the past.

;)

Some of my friends in CT have seen the process, this is what a Binary Read looks like when being extracted
And that's why you make the big bucks my friend!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I think it's shirty people sell them for $50 personally

Considering they already have all of the files sitting on their computer...all they have to do is spend 5 minutes going through their tune library and find one that matches the customer's VIN... I mean good for them for capitalizing on it though, pretty clever.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Because otherwise, your only other option for getting your truck's stock tune is like this:

And the equipment costs more than $50.....

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 134

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Wht do you mean IF? They DO support deletes, just not for those in the US. And it has nothing to do with the customers, or lack of them wanting to offer it, but everything to do with our EPA. As to obtaining LML tunes, I can't blame people for charging for them. It's not like they can just go out, plug into the data port, and read one out for you. They have to get an ECM, open it up without destroying it, solder the VERY FRAGILE circuit board to enable reading ability, flash the required tune file using GM software to the modified ECM, THEN read it out using the jumper and there own 3rd party obtained software and equipment. So it's not jsut a simple ordeal to do it half way legally. I just lucked out, and got those files before they were deleted after somebody north of the border had hosted them on 4share for all to find and download if you felt like waiting through all the popups, ads, and clicks to get them. It's no where near a complete tune file repository though, and those tuners you pay for a file can get you the hard to find tune files.

I'm just trying to pay it forward as I still remeber being green to tuning, and having some others help me to wrap my head around this, as well as several people helping me out with tune files over the years, and still to this day having others who know more than me help me out with problems I had.

You can get the .bin files from TIS...

TIS caches the files as segments though, so you have to mess around a bit to combine them into something that EFILive will read/open.

Ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

;)

As far as I know, Ktag doesnt support the 15+ TC1797?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Because otherwise, your only other option for getting your truck's stock tune is like this:

And the equipment costs more than $50.....

Got the same thing and never used it yet. (as well as a KESS) a little off subject but how do you Map out parameters with titanium? any way to learn that other then taking a trip to Italy?