LML Single or Compounds

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
In the spring I'm going to be looking at adding some more air to the mix. The goal for the truck is 650 - 700 rwhp with good street manners as I daily drive the truck.

I really like how clean single setups look under the hood and don't really want the run of the mill s475 over stock (which I know will keep EGT's down), but wouldn't mind something a bit different.

What setups would be some good options that won't be too laggy for singles and won't put the EGT's through the roof when towing my trailer (9000lbs)?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
A bigger VVT? Drives like stock including turbo brake and a bit more power.

Sent from my iPhone digging a ditch near you.

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
What i was thinking. To get good drive ability of a bigger fixed vain single, it is best to be run bigger injectors. If you want to run a single, run a S300 frame Borg Warner or a smaller Garrett.

I do want to run a single for the clean look under the hood but don't want to sacrifice driveability and the little bit of towing I do.

Based on my converter what size of turbo could do that for me? And if a single really isn't feasible for my DD, power goals and towing... What twin kit would be my best bet?

Sorry dudes if these are lame questions but I'm a newbie and just know the info provided here will be 100 times more valuable than what gets tossed around at DF. Is the s475 over stock really the end all be all, the most affordable or???

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
I like the look of that turbo, it looks like I'd be right where I want to be power wise. But with the 3794 will it act the same as my stock one and while cruising at 60 hold boost at 10 psi?

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
I like the look of that turbo, it looks like I'd be right where I want to be power wise. But with the 3794 will it act the same as my stock one and while cruising at 60 hold boost at 10 psi?

Maybe just a tad less boost, but the 3794 is the closest you'll get to factory spool/driving characteristics with increased flow.

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
Maybe just a tad less boost, but the 3794 is the closest you'll get to factory spool/driving characteristics with increased flow.

Jason we talked on DF about an s366, would that be another viable option for 650-700hp and still good for towing? What would the dis/advantages of either or be?

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
Jason we talked on DF about an s366, would that be another viable option for 650-700hp and still good for towing? What would the dis/advantages of either or be?

yes, the Billet 366's are pretty stout chargers as well, ideal for the 700hp range but can do 750hp. At that point though we would recommend an s400 frame or compounds, no sense in pushing the limits of the s300 frame and tearing it up.
with the S366 you will no longer be variable vane which eliminates your Turbo brake and Hiss noise that some people prefer over the fixed vane chargers. the s300 really cleans up the engine bay, lifts the turbo out of the valley and makes things much more accessible. the s366 turbo will be SLIGHTLY slower spooling than the stock turbo, not terrible. still able to tow fairly heavy with it if your experienced an driver/towing.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
What i was thinking. To get good drive ability of a bigger fixed vain single, it is best to be run bigger injectors. If you want to run a single, run a S300 frame Borg Warner or a smaller Garrett.

LML's don't need bigger injectors for 700 rwhp, the stock ones flow plenty for it. I too would be looking at the 3794 VVT, we put one on an LML and it ripped. It did immediately push thru the stock converter though...:mad:

Good thing yours isn't stock...:D

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
In the spring I'm going to be looking at adding some more air to the mix. The goal for the truck is 650 - 700 rwhp with good street manners as I daily drive the truck.

I really like how clean single setups look under the hood and don't really want the run of the mill s475 over stock (which I know will keep EGT's down), but wouldn't mind something a bit different.

What setups would be some good options that won't be too laggy for singles and won't put the EGT's through the roof when towing my trailer (9000lbs)?

Compounds are the way to go. They'll drive a lot nicer than one turbo big enough for the power you want. I can't see a 475/stock supplying enough air for 650-700hp. My first twin set had that combination and EFI, the big tune hp was around 550 with an otherwise stock engine. But also my LLY had less power to begin with than yours. For flexibility I'd definitely go with twins. They really woke things up and made the truck a lot more responsive.

Last edited:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I had my heart set on a 475 over stock but after a lot of reading and talking with others I am now thinking Danvilles new BMW 3794VVT. Sound like it has close to the same braking abilities and spools close to the same as stock. Good for 650 / 700 HP range, keeps EGTs at bay, and not going to going to over heat your oil like compounds have been know to do.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
There you go how many times you got to hear the same thing :bow:too Mark he hit the ball out of the park on this one