LML mods and dyno testing begins

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
Stock 2013 LML with full factory emissions intake and active. No lift pump or any mods outside of a MikeL Tranny, Running large heavy tires.

Stock tune made 325HP SAE corrected
Performance tune made 456HP SAE corrected
5th gear pulls with 20% load

Performance tune drops rail to about 24k from a commanded 29k until about 3200 RPM and then starts dropping fast. Running mild tuning 13.5 degrees at 3000 RPM. I have made more HP but wanted to test with sane timing.

S & B going on now and then will test both tunes again.

Stock tune seems about 20-25 hp lower than is should be. did the computer limit it during the dyno pull? This a post from MIkeL "--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dynoed my LML last Saturday at Westech on their Superflow.
355 hp and 655 tq. Totaly stock. "

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Stock tune seems about 20-25 hp lower than is should be. did the computer limit it during the dyno pull? This a post from MIkeL "--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It must be the dyno as Rob's truck runs every bit as good as mine, maybe a little better. I run the same tune as his on my truck.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It must be the dyno as Rob's truck runs every bit as good as mine, maybe a little better. I run the same tune as his on my truck.

built trans maybe robbing some power? unless yours had all the goodies when it went on the dyno back then

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007

Agree, it is on the low side. The cool thing about having a dyno is testing winter fuel and heavy wheel/tire combo. This truck is running winter fuel which we see about 8% decrease in HP and a heavy wheel/tire combo which accounts for another 5% or so in my testing over time. These numbers vary according to HP and truck, etc.

The truck in the summer on stock wheels made 359hp, so the current winter fuel/tire combo is fairly accurate IMO. My dyno has proven over time to be a goldilocks, doesn't read too high, nor too low, but seems just about right.

Anyway, the dyno is just a tool to see changes. The air filter swap numbers blew my mind, stock and with performance tuning. I'll get around to that when time allows.

Attachments

• Rob's lml.jpg
    Rob's lml.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 319

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
really? ^^^^^
Yes that could have been worded better. I am sure it is going to be emissions tested, what I should have asked is will Rob be showing the difference between stock and modified emissions.

Or if you were referring to the typos it was posted from my phone and the crazy auto fill/correct constantly changes THIS to I HE :confused: I usually catch and correct it before or right after I post. It dose all kinds of crazy things that I don't know how to stop.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
This is why comparing dyno numbers is gay. It will be awesome seeing the gains per mod made on the same dyno to see a accurate result.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
This is why comparing dyno numbers is gay. It will be awesome seeing the gains per mod made on the same dyno to see a accurate result.

Yeah that's pretty much all its good for. The differences you can get between dynos are huge.

I'm definitely interested in seeing this step by step.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
black LBZ passed with a .4 out of 40 with all its mods. so i think they are pretty forgiving on them tho lol :)

and robs truck with full emissions and how clean it runs, he doesnt have any issues

Last edited:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
black LBZ passed with a .4 out of 40 with all its mods. so i think they are pretty forgiving on them tho lol :)

and robs truck with full emissions and how clean it runs, he doesnt have any issues
Dustin did they give you a printout?

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga

Agreed,. My question was not exactly about the numbers, but as to whether the computer was cutting hp, which would be another issue to manage with the addition of tuning, turbo etc. to a stock emissions vehicle.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Agreed,. My question was not exactly about the numbers, but as to whether the computer was cutting hp, which would be another issue to manage with the addition of tuning, turbo etc. to a stock emissions vehicle.

I took the stock tune and just removed the speed limiter. By the looks of the dyno graph and the data logs the ecm isn't limiting anymore than the modded tunes.

Soot grams went from 11 to 22 after a day of dyno and road testing so that shouldn't have been a factor as the stock runs were when soot was in the 12-14 range. Rear tire diameter did change though...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

same thing they have done here in phx for years. over 40 opacity and you dont pass. ive blown quite a bit of smoke on the sniffer before and only hit a 20. usually im around 1-5 lol.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I took the stock tune and just removed the speed limiter. By the looks of the dyno graph and the data logs the ecm isn't limiting anymore than the modded tunes.

Soot grams went from 11 to 22 after a day of dyno and road testing so that shouldn't have been a factor as the stock runs were when soot was in the 12-14 range. Rear tire diameter did change though...

Maybe I missed it but what did you see for gains from the air filter?