LML deleted at dealer?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Has anyone taken their deleted LML to a dealership for warranty or oil changes and had anything said to them about it? and what are the facts about if the ecm has been flashed and gm imediatly voiding the warranty? I'm not worried about mine but I get this question once in awhile and want to have the right answer. I'd like to hear from Deleted LML owners and nayone with info or first hand experience on this.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I was a tech at a dealer for seven years. Had deleted trucks come through all the time. Pretty sure I was the only one who even noticed the trucks were deleted. Of course none of these trucks came in with engine warranty concerns. Get to know your dealer and I can almost promise you that you'll have no issues.

We had an '07 LBZ with a GM crate engine installed in it that came in with a thrown rod. The truck had an Aurora 3000 turbo, dual fuelers, 38" tires and an ATS trans yet somehow the engine still got warrantied...

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
I was a tech at a dealer for seven years. Had deleted trucks come through all the time. Pretty sure I was the only one who even noticed the trucks were deleted. Of course none of these trucks came in with engine warranty concerns. Get to know your dealer and I can almost promise you that you'll have no issues.

We had an '07 LBZ with a GM crate engine installed in it that came in with a thrown rod. The truck had an Aurora 3000 turbo, dual fuelers, 38" tires and an ATS trans yet somehow the engine still got warrantied...

Thats a little ridiculous

At our place trucks come in regularly deleted and tuned. I'm the main diesel tech so if theres any question or concern the service manager consults with me about it. usually if its any kind of repair involving major repair, GM sends their rep out to look at it. Or they will say tear it down to look at the pistons.

If you get the wrong rep in there they can be a dick. But if you get your truck to come in because the abs module tears up or cluster quits, there won't be a second thought.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
thats what I figured. only thing i was concerend about was my 2 years of oil changes on my LML. funny thing is it also include DEF. might just leave the tank on since is full. it would be kinda funny to watch the guy goto put DEF in and have the tank gone.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
I had a woman bring her husbands lml in for the free 2yr oil change, and she didn't know that it was deleted, so she was questioning me about why I didn't put def in it. I said I can't your husband has it deleted there's no tank. And she couldn't comprehend it lol

diesel-max

Haisley Never heard of her
Oct 20, 2011
IN
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm dying to delete my '15 but am trying to hold off until the first oil change at least. lol I know one service manager at a dealer close to me, he had a lb7 with a built trans and tuned pretty hot. So I think I'll be ok.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I'm not too worried about it, hell might bring me some business its a smaller town with all farming around us. there might be a farmer that wants his done and will ask about. i hope anyway.

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
I get them in frequently, never say anything. My service manager doesn't care either (diesel fan) so that probably helps.

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
I put a engine in a 2012 LML with a broken crank. Truck was fully deleted and GM warrantied it. I've serviced a few other deleted trucks, but it's funny when someone that doesn't know goes to fill the DEF and it just pours out onto the ground lol.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
When I was shop foreman, I interfaced with the field engineers quite frequently.
I found that GM talked a hard line, and posted a great deal of information on aftermarket power adders and accessories. there is also a sales department that wants to sell vehicles. there are a lot of Dealer techs that will do anything to get out of warranty work, or even standing behind any work they do. I did not care for them. when it all came down to it, the aftermarket equipment has to be proven to cause the failure in order to deny warranty. We had a truck catch fire, it had led lights under it, wires scotchlocked into connectors for a programmer, and every other aftermarket device that was popular in 2003! There was also a bulletin on a driveshaft being an inch too short. the truck was totaled and the manufacturer paid the entire truck off and gave him a trade in certificate. I had to fight with them a bum but the field engineer agreed, the shorter driveshaft made the trans leak fluid onto hot exhaust and catch fire. Truck was so burnt it was hard to tell.
The biggest telltale on an lml ecm or even the new ford and dodge is the maximum desired torque number that is stored and can't be reset. That is the number they will look at and they know it can not be tampered with. So there is no reason to turn a guy in for having been deleted.

Lets look at like this. You just are deleted no increased power, or maybe 50 hp tune.

there is a huge emmisions system that they no longer have to warranty. they put it on and they did not take it off.
Now lets say your engine drops a valve or bends a rod. They can go in and look at max desired torque. If it is within stock limit than the engine failed under stock like power. why not warranty it. If the max torque is higher than allowed than you turned it up and they can look at what the cause was. If the rod bent because the head gasket failed because it was an early design (known problem) head gasket and the engine hydralocked, well that could still be warranty even though you have 2 turbo's on the thing and a dual fueler.

I hope that is helpful

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Don't sweat it. Unless you shoot a piston thru the head or twist a hub in the allison they are usually cool about it...

My truck was actually deleted by the dealer... :D

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
When I was shop foreman, I interfaced with the field engineers quite frequently.
I found that GM talked a hard line, and posted a great deal of information on aftermarket power adders and accessories. there is also a sales department that wants to sell vehicles. there are a lot of Dealer techs that will do anything to get out of warranty work, or even standing behind any work they do. I did not care for them. when it all came down to it, the aftermarket equipment has to be proven to cause the failure in order to deny warranty. We had a truck catch fire, it had led lights under it, wires scotchlocked into connectors for a programmer, and every other aftermarket device that was popular in 2003! There was also a bulletin on a driveshaft being an inch too short. the truck was totaled and the manufacturer paid the entire truck off and gave him a trade in certificate. I had to fight with them a bum but the field engineer agreed, the shorter driveshaft made the trans leak fluid onto hot exhaust and catch fire. Truck was so burnt it was hard to tell.
The biggest telltale on an lml ecm or even the new ford and dodge is the maximum desired torque number that is stored and can't be reset. That is the number they will look at and they know it can not be tampered with. So there is no reason to turn a guy in for having been deleted.

Lets look at like this. You just are deleted no increased power, or maybe 50 hp tune.

there is a huge emmisions system that they no longer have to warranty. they put it on and they did not take it off.
Now lets say your engine drops a valve or bends a rod. They can go in and look at max desired torque. If it is within stock limit than the engine failed under stock like power. why not warranty it. If the max torque is higher than allowed than you turned it up and they can look at what the cause was. If the rod bent because the head gasket failed because it was an early design (known problem) head gasket and the engine hydralocked, well that could still be warranty even though you have 2 turbo's on the thing and a dual fueler.

I hope that is helpful
Yeah, they requested pictures of the ecm software calibrations and max torque ouput on the tech2. Everyone was shocked when they agreed to warranty the engine. But I think doing it like this is very smart.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon

I hope that is helpful

Good information. thanks