LLY w/built trans vs LBZ w/o trans

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i ran a stock trans LMM lifted on 37s from a 20 roll. while i walked away from him, he didnt fall back any farther than the stock height, built trans, stock turbo LB7/LLY trucks ive raced.

if his trans is holding the power, has an all out tune on it and the CP3 can hold the fuel, its going to be a damn good race

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
i ran a stock trans LMM lifted on 37s from a 20 roll. while i walked away from him, he didnt fall back any farther than the stock height, built trans, stock turbo LB7/LLY trucks ive raced.

if his trans is holding the power, has an all out tune on it and the CP3 can hold the fuel, its going to be a damn good race

Yeah thats what I worry about haha.

I know for sure his CP3 is in better shape than mine since his is probably a lower milage truck. My CP3 will make about 23kpsi at max, but when the max tune calls for 26kpsi, im about 5kpsi below. No low rail pressure codes ever though

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
I live in Ohio and a few of us got on the longhorn band wagon cause their stickers are all over the place here. I have since started doing my own tuning on my lb7 and will say mine runs better than Longhorns but mine aren't exactly stock tranny safe either. But a friend of mine still has his tunes in his lbz, I will say it runs pretty good but if you have max effort there's no worrying. Longhorns a joke cause all he wants to do is make smoke/lope tunes and tune stock trucks. Nobody with any major mods go back to him. He's a engineer for a living and learned efi live from college when his class built a drag car for mechanical engineering and they used efi to tune it, he does no work on trucks and contracts it all out. But anyways, you got this!!!!

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I can pull away from my dad once we get traction (both 2hi bc he's leveled with 35s) or from a roll. I have an lly and max effort tuning with the zf6. He has an lbz stock trans except for the transgo jr and Idaho Rob 550rwhp tuning and normal mods. He dd's the truck on his 450rwhp street race tune or whatever it's called. Held fine for the last 70k miles. He's not super easy on it either. I did feel some converter shudder last time we were flogging it on the big tune.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
I live in Ohio and a few of us got on the longhorn band wagon cause their stickers are all over the place here. I have since started doing my own tuning on my lb7 and will say mine runs better than Longhorns but mine aren't exactly stock tranny safe either. But a friend of mine still has his tunes in his lbz, I will say it runs pretty good but if you have max effort there's no worrying. Longhorns a joke cause all he wants to do is make smoke/lope tunes and tune stock trucks. Nobody with any major mods go back to him. He's a engineer for a living and learned efi live from college when his class built a drag car for mechanical engineering and they used efi to tune it, he does no work on trucks and contracts it all out. But anyways, you got this!!!!

Thats interesting. I didnt know he was an engineer. I guess I cant really blame him for making money. But did anyone see this article about GM wanting to make tinkering against the law? I dont know the whole jist of it, but it doesnt sound good haha

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...re-want-to-keep-tinkering-self-repair-illegal

Jakemax04

Jun 28, 2013
Built trans LLY will win. I had this same race with a buddy of mine when his trans was stock and he wasn't even lifted. LLY for sure.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Yeah thats what I worry about haha.

I know for sure his CP3 is in better shape than mine since his is probably a lower milage truck. My CP3 will make about 23kpsi at max, but when the max tune calls for 26kpsi, im about 5kpsi below. No low rail pressure codes ever though

Your cp3 is fine. 23k is stock pressure.

People do run big power tunes through a stock 6sp, but they're harder to limp (they're still slipping though). Best bet is run him up to 100mph, his trans will be more likely to take a shart.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Your cp3 is fine. 23k is stock pressure.

People do run big power tunes through a stock 6sp, but they're harder to limp (they're still slipping though). Best bet is run him up to 100mph, his trans will be more likely to take a shart.

Yeah, its only a matter of time. He has said his tranny doesnt like his level 5 tune

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
You'll kill him. Built trans lly rob tunes = 520 ish hp. Trans safe lbz = 450 hp, long horn tunes 400 hp with a lot of smoke. All duramax's make about the same hp on a good max effort tunes. The trans is the deciding factor as to whether you get it to the ground.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Don't race him in 2wd. If you lose traction all bets are off.

Get a set of sleeves, launch in 4wd, and take that little bitch to school.

I don't own a forum, nor do I consider him a competing shop. But the longhorn fab guy is an idiot. I've fixed several of his tuning disasters for local people. He shouldn't be allowed to use a smart phone, much less efi live.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Don't race him in 2wd. If you lose traction all bets are off.

Get a set of sleeves, launch in 4wd, and take that little bitch to school.

I don't own a forum, nor do I consider him a competing shop. But the longhorn fab guy is an idiot. I've fixed several of his tuning disasters for local people. He shouldn't be allowed to use a smart phone, much less efi live.

Haha wow. Mind sharing some examples? Just curious

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
So Kory will sell you built trans tuning even if you have a stock tranny? Interesting.

For a long while I was just going to keep my trans stock as well and go with John Kennedys tunes, but decided go big or go home. My wallet does not appreciate that

I was getting ready to build my tranny anyway since I had massive converter shudder. Kory's original tunes were trans safe. I had them changed because I wanted an excuse to get my transmission built. Korys trans safe tunes are just as safe as Robs.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
If your asking to see his actual tunes, I don't have them. I don't steal people's tunes. And I definitely don't care to see the mess of numbers he calls a tune anyway.

I've had 2 trucks brought here sporting his "tunes". One an LB7, one an LLY. Both were smoky, shifted like garbage, we're far from "smooth" as far as power delivery goes, and just ran poorly overall.

I've not had an LBZ here yet with his tuning, but I have had several calls from LBZ owners with issues with there trucks that were tuned by him. Unfortunately a lot of people can't afford to spend the money to buy a proper tune after throwing there money away buying a junk tune.

I also have a real problem with the knuckle heads who promote smoke tunes, lope tunes, blowing smoke, rolling coal, etc. Thanks to a handful of jack asses most people in my area hate any diesel truck that puffs any smoke because they have seen someone somewhere be obnoxious with one. And the problem is even worse on the national level.

Diesel motorsports is just another example of things being ruined by the "posers".

Lots of people out there who claim they can tune. But there's very few actually know how to do it properly......

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Yeah his tuning disasters were what I'm getting at, but I'm sure we all know about him and his smoke tunes. Several kids in my area run his tunes for the sole sake of having a smoke and lope tune. Its so stupid and it makes me feel as if having a diesel is only an accessory for the purpose of blowing smoke