Lly rebuild

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Have you not research oval bowls? 1300+hp on cast pistons all day long.

No I guess I have not researched them. I have never tried them.

I do know that on this forum they have very good reviews, and as I said I have no personal experience but from the information I have read on them they come highly recommended and have great reviews.

I have also heard empire diesel is making 1200 rwhp on lml 25 dollar cast pistons made in mexico.

My personal opinion is that over 800 hp I would choose a forged pistons. I am partial as I was very involved and aided in the design process of the forged street pistons. So I should also disclose that information.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
No I guess I have not researched them. I have never tried them.

I do know that on this forum they have very good reviews, and as I said I have no personal experience but from the information I have read on them they come highly recommended and have great reviews.

I have also heard empire diesel is making 1200 rwhp on lml 25 dollar cast pistons made in mexico.

My personal opinion is that over 800 hp I would choose a forged pistons. I am partial as I was very involved and aided in the design process of the forged street pistons. So I should also disclose that information.

I would have also thought anything close to 1000hp would require forged to last, but after running the fingers oval bowls for 50,000+ miles at 1,000whp I'm a firm believer. My pistons came out looking excellent, and I plan on putting them back in when I rebuild (broke my crank).

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Here is a link to the Ford models. I don't want to advertise gm parts here. The Duramax parts are very similar in appearance and price. They are shelf stock so they ship almost immediately. I can also do a little better on price on those.

Last edited by a moderator:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Have these actually been tested to 100,000 miles or is that just a projected number? Says custom rings are required..how much are those? Or does the pistons come with them?

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I don't want to be a smartass, but tell me 1 100o rwhp engine with more than 10k let alone 100k in them. They are tested in lower hp engines for long term durability and all the results have been extrapolated out.
the custom rings are around 300 to 500 dollars depending if you choose stainless steel. I would recommend a ss top ring and napier second.
The pistons do not come with rings.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
There's a bunch of trucks running around with well over 10k on finger's cast oval bowls and pushing over 1000hp

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
So they are the cost of just about every other forged piston on the market. Not the same price of a cast oval bowl like mentioned earlier.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I just saw a thread where the oval bowls were being sold for 1900 without rings.

Like I said I am not all knowledgeable on oval bowl pistons, nor I have researched them.
I have heard lots of good reviews and I have not read a bad review on them.

If it was my truck I do not trust a cast piston at the higher power levels. I have broken way too many, and spent my weekends in my shop rebuilding an engine for a race or pull instead of enjoying time with my family.

DDiesell

Oct 24, 2014
plus.google.com
Sorry guys I am new to the forum so I dont really know who is who here. I am not new to diesel performance at all. I have not had experience with confederate but I have heard way too many horror stories to put their pistons in one of our engines.