LLY piston lip cut/valve relief advice needed

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
If you need reliefs you should not be doing stock delipped pistons in my opinion.

I agree.

Truck is a DD and the pistons are in good shape, see no reason why not to use them. Wanting to run a 6480 AF or similar, what problems will I have running them? Has it been done before with any success?

It's about how hard you will be pushing everything to need such a big cam. A 3388 is plenty for stock pistons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitey

DIESEL NUT
Dec 2, 2014
Minnesota
So anything in the cam department larger than the 3388 on stock pistons is a no? I'm talking lb7 lly pistons, not Lbz.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Pretty sure pre fancy piston days guy's were de-lipping and taking .100" off the tops of the pistons to lower comp ratio. I don't see why doing the std. .075" relief would hurt anything. But I also agree with the others in that a stock cam or a 3388 is plenty, way better things to spend money on than a cam IMOP.

whitey

DIESEL NUT
Dec 2, 2014
Minnesota
3388AF cam here making close to 1200hp. Don't see any reason to go bigger if your are DDing it.
I'm pushing 800 on the stock cam and don't really see the need for one. Thought about an AF cam to help with harmonics on the crank, but don't know if it's worth it.

whitey

DIESEL NUT
Dec 2, 2014
Minnesota
Looking at some really low mileage rods and pistons that came out of a motor with a broken crank, should be nervous about that? So would the rods be the same one's I see on wagler ´ s site?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Sorry but if your reusing stock Pistons and wanting a cam and aftermarket rods. I would not use the stock Pistons in the build. Not if but when the Pistons cracks you will be spending more money fixing everything again and hope nothing else gets taken out.

Stock Lb7 Pistons once deliped and cut down makes a already thin top weak piston weaker. Add on the valve reliefs adds in a spot to get hotter and get hair line cracks around the edges.

When getting into building best to try and spend the money once. We have a few build packages onsale. Both have the option to switch the Pistons from the mahle race cast to The Finger oval bowl race cast Pistons for a small upgrade cost.

http://creaturesofthenightperforman...-Carrillo-Rods-Pistons-Bearings-P5122405.aspx

http://creaturesofthenightperforman...an-Crower-Rods-Pistons-Bearings-P5661465.aspx

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I will go ahead and agree with everyone here and suggest that you buy some pistons. You might be ok with the used parts just have them sent to Wagler and make sure they are in good shape. Broken cranks can ruin the rod ends and possibly crack piston skirts.

whitey

DIESEL NUT
Dec 2, 2014
Minnesota
Supposedly has less than 1000mi on the motor, when the crank let loose under normal driving. I'm just wondering about the tts rods, don't hear much about them, and the pistons are 15.5 to 1. Do u know if the mahle race cast is available in that comp ratio? Thanks.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Supposedly has less than 1000mi on the motor, when the crank let loose under normal driving. I'm just wondering about the tts rods, don't hear much about them, and the pistons are 15.5 to 1. Do u know if the mahle race cast is available in that comp ratio? Thanks.

We can get finger ovsl bowls.
Cast pistons are available down to 15.5:1 w/o pockets because of material restrictions. Lower depending on pocket volume. Forged can go considerably lower, but there are limits.

whitey

DIESEL NUT
Dec 2, 2014
Minnesota
Going to go with the mahle race cast. Now how about the tts rods, the motor was just built by empire, and they said it has tts rods, so would that be the same as wagler or not?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Going to go with the mahle race cast. Now how about the tts rods, the motor was just built by empire, and they said it has tts rods, so would that be the same as wagler or not?

For the cost of using used rods not worth it better be heavy discount.

For the cost of those rods out of the broke motor and buying the Pistons and gaskets and bearings go new.

We have a special going for Carrillo rods, race cast Pistons with rings and clips,bearing set and overhaul gasket kit. 4495.00 shipped along with
***FREE RTIC CUP & $50 GIFT CARD OF YOUR CHOICE TO EITHER (CABELAS, VICTORIAS SECRET, BASS PRO SHOP OR APPLEBEES)*** WITH PURCHASE OF THIS PACKAGE

http://creaturesofthenightperforman...-Carrillo-Rods-Pistons-Bearings-P5122405.aspx