Lly or lbz turbo

05dmaxlly

Jan 17, 2017
the turbo on my lly has had enough. i have been searching for a few days and can't seem to find a straight answer.
i have the lly charger thats on the truck and also have a lbz charger both need to be rebuilt. i was trying to find out which is the better turbo stock for stock, i have found some say the lbz cause it spools better and is more efficient overall. and I've found some that say the lly is better due to having bigger wheels and turbine housing.
also i was planing to install the wetzel drop in wheel in which ever one i end up using. so would that make the lly spool more like the lbz charger?
and lastly i was looking at the 10 blade psd turbine wheel. I'm not big on the crazy loud whistle but if it is worth it for the extra flow then maybe.i read that it drops in the lly housing. and the lbz housing would need to be machined, is it worth the machining. or better off putting it in the lly and be done with it.
and just noticed in this thread about the psd veins with the 10 blade wheel. could they be used with the 13 blade lly and what difference would there be?

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
Fingers makes vanes for the LLY housings that you can use with the 10 blade 6.0 turbine. If all you are concerned about is spoolup, the LBZ turbo will probably spool a little faster than the LLY turbo. Butttttt with a billet compressor wheel the LLY will spool fairly decent and flow more than the LBZ. Also, with the 10 blade turbine you *might* spool a little slower, but move more air up top. Ive never ran the 10 blade turbine though, so I cant tell you how much difference it would be. If you are looking for the best flowing "stock" turbo, LLY charger, billet compressor wheel, 10 blade turbine, & fingers vanes.

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
Fingers makes vanes for the LLY housings that you can use with the 10 blade 6.0 turbine. If all you are concerned about is spoolup, the LBZ turbo will probably spool a little faster than the LLY turbo. Butttttt with a billet compressor wheel the LLY will spool fairly decent and flow more than the LBZ. Also, with the 10 blade turbine you *might* spool a little slower, but move more air up top. Ive never ran the 10 blade turbine though, so I cant tell you how much difference it would be. If you are looking for the best flowing "stock" turbo, LLY charger, billet compressor wheel, 10 blade turbine, & fingers vanes.

Im running a 10 blade turbine and a 6+6 wheel on an 04.5 turbo and it spools just fine with some tuning adjustments in the vanes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I'm running a batmo tct, fingers vanes and 10 blade turbine. My truck has so much too end now compared to stock turbo it's insane. I raced a 300whp Subaru, he pulled on me down low and I went flying by him on top end at 80mph

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Pretty sure I have an 03 psd turbo in the back room with stuck veins. I know it's a 10 blade turbine. I was gonna use it on my stocker but went with an s400 instead lol.

05dmaxlly

Jan 17, 2017
alright that settles most of it. using the lly turbo with a billet wheel will flow more and spool good. i was looking at the wetzel wheel but notice a lot of people run the batmowheel. is it worth the extra money?
as far as the turbine wheel that would be my next problem as i want the flow on the top end but not sure if i can stand that whistle daily driving and towing. altho i have not heard one in pearson only videos. I'm assuming a muffler or resonator might help but are there any ways to help the turbine side without the 10 blade?
the vanes are somewhat expensive and if I'm going to put that much into the rebuild i mite as well of got a turbo already done.
also thanks for your help

Elgavilan

Desert Rat
Aug 28, 2016
Arizona
I'm running an lly turbo, wetzel wheel, 10 blade turbine wheel, stock vanes and I ported the turbo exhaust side to match the gaskets and it runs great. Spools quick and is very responsive.

Sent from the Arizona desert.

05dmaxlly

Jan 17, 2017
elgavilan that looks like the way to go. your truck looks close to mine and also tuned by rob. did you have to have the tune changed for the turbo or just running the standard built trans tunes? and do you find the whistle too loud or am i just getting old :confused:

Elgavilan

Desert Rat
Aug 28, 2016
Arizona
I told Rob about the turbo before he sent the tunes. When Mike L built the trans he resets the trans to relearn and it works well. As far as the whistle, I could hear it at first but don't notice it at all now, course my hearing is lousy especially in the high pitch areas, too much gun shooting!

Sent from the Arizona desert

05dmaxlly

Jan 17, 2017
alright i decided to go with my factory lly turbo and have ordered the rebuild kit and the wetzel billet wheel. still not sure on the turbine side. i want to improve flow reduce the back pressure in the top end and wouldn't mid a little noise, but i feel the 10 blade is to noisy for towing and what not. i have read about clipping the 13 blade wheel or machining the turbine housing to improve flow and reduce back pressure but cant find much about it or where to remove the material.
does any one have info on that? or if i was to use a 10 blade how to quiet it down? or should i just use the 13 blade the way it is and not worry about it.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I honestly have way more compressor whistle when towing than anything. The turbine I mainly hear on spool up. My compressor whistle is so loud with the tct wheel.

Hear is a vid. You can hear the turbine spool then the compressor really screams when it's building some boost.
[YOUTUBE]T8ZtILdq2CE[/YOUTUBE]

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I towed with a LLY batmo 10 blade turbine fingers vanes on my lmm. Best running variable I had ever ran and also best exhaust braking performance. Turbine whistle wasn't all that bad with a dia eye 4" muffler.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
With the windows up I don't think the 10 blade is that bad. Now open the window or drive next to something that bounces the sound back and that's a different story. I have a 5" straight pipe too. We rented a cabin in the mountains last year and my wife said you could hear my truck miles away, but I was driving it hard too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05dmaxlly

Jan 17, 2017
So it looks like the rebuild kit I ordered from gpop shop doesn't have the compressor housing o ring. Or the o rings for the solenoid/sensors. Did you guys find a o ring kit or reuse the old ones? I saw it says Danville glues the cover on, do you know what they use?

05dmaxlly

Jan 17, 2017
I was planning to sent it To Midwest for balancing. But even there kit doesn't show the big o ring for the compressor housing.