LLY Build, bare necessities

Scrap Dog

May 31, 2015
Warsaw, IN
Nice kits, he only told me 2k to start on the complete build including further diag. He said it would take a couple weeks for the machine shop to get their part done. I told him I understood having that kind of money tied up until I pay him for the new stuff. Thanks for giving me a different view on it. Everyone else said motor swap right away. I guess when j get some money saved and have him tear down the motor a little more cause I am willing to pay to find out what failed so I know. The shop is fair imo because he tried injectors first and realized the balance rate did not change and did not charge me anything for that install. He does have the injectors out and am waiting for my answer on what to do and only charged me one hour. I am thinking even with those kits a moto swap will be cheaper in the long run. Machining is getting ridiculous these days. I had a bolt stuck and needed a mill. They charged me 45 bucks cause they turned the mill on when I coulda bought a new piece for 10, yes the new piece is good lol.
Thanks

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Nice kits, he only told me 2k to start on the complete build including further diag. He said it would take a couple weeks for the machine shop to get their part done. I told him I understood having that kind of money tied up until I pay him for the new stuff. Thanks for giving me a different view on it. Everyone else said motor swap right away. I guess when j get some money saved and have him tear down the motor a little more cause I am willing to pay to find out what failed so I know. The shop is fair imo because he tried injectors first and realized the balance rate did not change and did not charge me anything for that install. He does have the injectors out and am waiting for my answer on what to do and only charged me one hour. I am thinking even with those kits a moto swap will be cheaper in the long run. Machining is getting ridiculous these days. I had a bolt stuck and needed a mill. They charged me 45 bucks cause they turned the mill on when I coulda bought a new piece for 10, yes the new piece is good lol.
Thanks

Most machine shops that I have had do motor builds your around 2,500. That's tear down machine work and rebuild. With that shop you would have to ship the motor out then back but places like abf is fair on those prices.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I lost a piston on my LMM.
Bore, balance, main hone. I am pushing ~5,000 including machine shop cost, all parts and i asemble Nothing fancy.. LML head gaskets and head bolts going in on the top...currently what is stocked at dealer..
Head studs with stock rods on a truck that makes less than 500hp is pointless IMO
Second the buy a junkyard pull out.. Can get new lbz/lmm will have to swap a lb7/lly reluctor wheel on it.. Everything else is bolt on

Scrap Dog

May 31, 2015
Warsaw, IN
I lost a piston on my LMM.
Bore, balance, main hone. I am pushing ~5,000 including machine shop cost, all parts and i asemble Nothing fancy.. LML head gaskets and head bolts going in on the top...currently what is stocked at dealer..
Head studs with stock rods on a truck that makes less than 500hp is pointless IMO
Second the buy a junkyard pull out.. Can get new lbz/lmm will have to swap a lb7/lly reluctor wheel on it.. Everything else is bolt on

LLY known for popping head gaskets for the guys just making a living towing campers around North America having a can tuner and better breathing for the motor. When j first bought the truck I was checking upper hose every month to make sure until I got bigger air horn and her breathing better as well. Thanks for all th info guys gals. I will get her yanked and go from there depending how bad it is. Does the 3k for 100k seem about right for running LLY in junk yard?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I poped a head gasket on my lmm with OEM LMM stuff.. Put LML stuff on and no issues
3k for running lly yeah.. Bout avg for running low mileage block around my area

Scrap Dog

May 31, 2015
Warsaw, IN
Thanks for the info Malibu. I'll keep them motors I found in mind. Hopefully they still have them. I'll look into my options as far as how bad the damage is to my motor. I don't drag or pull just blow some smoke on the ford and dodge guys sometimes. Thanks for the input on everything. Glad this forum is here for all you smart guys helping us dummies lol. Thanks again