Limped ATS today, ???

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The only one that has never had a issue with a ATS transmission is Tomac. I went through one and still have one in my truck. So far so good and I have put it through some abuse but not much any more. These were drop in units

Would I do it again? Probably not as Suncoast seems to have the Allison running the best.

The first one failed shortly after being installed de-laminated cluthes. Clearly a warranty coverage failure and that was where the problem was. Their BS and a ATS dealer installation requirement is just that BS. Your on your own they give you no list in your area it's up to you to find one. IMO when you have a failure or a problem and you call tech support they should TELL you bring it here! Nope nuttin

There is only a couple places in my area I'd let work on my truck. I trust my Chevrolet dealer 100% they're the ones that did the install. Who better? No one IMO

Since they aren't a authorized dealer ,well you get it. Then I find out through ATS finally who is a authorized dealer in my area they tell me Jannetty Racing! As many times as I've been there never new it. I would have literally pushed my truck there as they are the only other one that I would allow to work on my truck as Ted stands behind his work.

The kicker is about this "authorized dealer" BS is I did them a favor ans swapped out valve bodies on my back for them KNOWING it wasn't the issue. Here they'd allow me to work on it ,non authorized dealer but they were giving me shit about the dealer. Go figure

Nonetheless I was pretty pissed as they wouldn't fork over the labor costs. BUT if not for Wade brokering a deal I'd still have a spare transmission a extra valvebody and crate sitting here on my floor. In the end Clint did make it right.

ATS sells good products and their transmissions I'm sure can keep up with it's competition but their warranty policy is for the birds. I aint bashing just sharing my experience, your mileage may differ so the say.

I remember all that crap very well.:rolleyes:
The problem with their 5 year/500K warranty is you will probably need to use it before the truck leaves the shop.

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
I have heard so many horror stories about ats trans,

who builds trans for these 850-1000hp trucks? mike?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Ya I was at the time pretty pissed the whole escapade went on for a year or better! They aren't going to change the policies for me and I understand the need to have control over their warranty polices BUT we weren't talking a kit here a built unit supplied by ATS which was a simple bolt it up and add fluid. A monkey could do that so there should be no question about it when you (the purchaser) can provide a legitimate receipt!

IMO they should have just paid up no questions asked with the only exception of the amount. In other words they allow only so much to install even although some what unfair as CT will in most cases charge more for labor than say in Montana!

Then like I said they allowed ME to work on it!

The warranty was and is a big selling point. You mean to tell me I can go out and beat the tar out of my truck drag racing sled pulling and on the street and your going to warranty my transmission? It's a no brain'er but it comes with a lot of loop holes and hitches you'll find out! No one else I'm aware of offers such a warranty!

There is a VERY VERY simple solution(s) to fix this if they don't want to look shady ,for words unknown to better explain it, plus offering such a warranty makes it look like it's bullet proof or it's prone to fail. Pick your poison

One fix would be drop the price and just don't offer a warranty! IMO that looks like our transmission is so good you don't have to worry about it!

The other is with all the other literature they give you with the purchase the most important piece is left out. How about a list of authorized dealers in your area and stating that IF a problem should arise before even calling US bring your truck to them and they will contact us and the next steps that will take place. If it's proven to not be a warranty claim you will be responsible for all associated costs. Seems simple to me.

Instead what you get is literature stating if you don't use a authorized dealer your screwed. Then once you find out your screwed they start volunteering these mystery authorized dealers places after you ask! Should you have to ask? No IMO. You should be given a list as it's so important. I don't know just doesn't seem right to me. I've bought many things through out the years for a whole lot less money that comes with a list of authorized dealers. Just my opinion take it or leave it!

Trust me it sucks after dropping $7k and than $1k for installation and it breaks then you think your doing the right thing and then told you didn't have it installed at a authorized dealer that YOU HAVE TO FIND and it's not covered ,well sucks! Look at the poor bastard that does it himself on his back in the driveway.

Maybe it's changed today but that was how it was for me quite a few years ago. Kinda ugly. I'm over it live and learn just conversation at this point.

Forever

This 1 time, at band camp
Jan 4, 2009
Utah
How does ATS stay in buisness? It feels like I read two or three threads a week about there shit transmissions or someone saying there turbos are shit and overpriced. Next time, go with Mike L.

I have heard so many horror stories about ats trans,

who builds trans for these 850-1000hp trucks? mike?

ATS has built a few transmissions that are in 850-1000hp trucks, but who knows how long they last.

I'm pretty sure Mike built Dimitri's (1700+ HP) transmission, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I don't know if I'd go that far like I said I have had one in my truck now for 4 years I think and it's working fine,knock on wood! :roflmao:

I don't know what the percentage of returns are but I believe it's more of Tech and customer care that leaves a bad taste in peoples mouth than a defective product.

I'd think by now they'd have it aced the transmission and technical customer support and I'd wait and see who this gent makes out. Usually IF there is something defective it will be known right away not a year later like with this guy who started this thread.

The transmission is a part with many different items in it. Things will break and go wrong. How can you blame ATS if a solenoid or a pressure switch goes bad? You cant!

There will always be failures. Now if he had it in there for a few months and discovered that his clutches feel apart than have at it. Right now I don't believe anyone knows what failed. I'm only involved with the warranty aspect of it. Hope he gets covered IF it's a warranty problem and he has a warranty.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well clutches dont just fall apart that quick all the time mack. it was over 2-3 years before steves truck had the c3's delaminate and plug his trans up. Mike took great care of him (mike origianlly built it). couldnt ask for better customer service through him IMO :hug:. longest round trip ive ever done though :D

Last edited:

Forever

This 1 time, at band camp
Jan 4, 2009
Utah
I don't know if I'd go that far like I said I have had one in my truck now for 4 years I think and it's working fine,knock on wood! :roflmao:

I don't know what the percentage of returns are but I believe it's more of Tech and customer care that leaves a bad taste in peoples mouth than a defective product.

I'd think by now they'd have it aced the transmission and technical customer support and I'd wait and see who this gent makes out. Usually IF there is something defective it will be known right away not a year later like with this guy who started this thread.

The transmission is a part with many different items in it. Things will break and go wrong. How can you blame ATS if a solenoid or a pressure switch goes bad? You cant!

There will always be failures. Now if he had it in there for a few months and discovered that his clutches feel apart than have at it. Right now I don't believe anyone knows what failed. I'm only involved with the warranty aspect of it. Hope he gets covered IF it's a warranty problem and he has a warranty.

I agree with you. But, I just don't understand how they stay in business with there customer service.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
I agree with you. But, I just don't understand how they stay in business with there customer service.

I'm assuming they do enough work that doesn't have problems that they can keep in business. I'm not sticking up for ATS at all, I'm not here to bash them either.. I have talked with a few people from ATS that have been very helpful!! and some that wouldn't help at all.. they seem to have a higher failure rate with their transmissions than many other options such as Mike... but I'm ASSuming they must build a fair amount that work too?? Maybe they are really good at marketing?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Well clutches dont just fall apart that quick all the time mack. it was over 2-3 years before steves truck had the c3's delaminate and plug his trans up. Mike took great care of him (mike origianlly built it). couldnt ask for better customer service through him IMO :hug:. longest round trip ive ever done though :D

Ya I'm sure that is the case. Mine only lasted a couple weeks if that. I was just trying to use a example ,probably wrong one ,and give ATS a little lee-way. :D

Basically just saying that things will happen out of their control where they 'might' be blamed for something that wasn't directly their fault and other times easy enough to finger point. In my particular instance looking at the chunks in the bottom of the pan it was pretty clear what happened.

Having a failure like you've said 2 to 3 years latter would really suck.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ya I'm sure that is the case. Mine only lasted a couple weeks if that. I was just trying to use a example ,probably wrong one ,and give ATS a little lee-way. :D

Basically just saying that things will happen out of their control where they 'might' be blamed for something that wasn't directly their fault and other times easy enough to finger point. In my particular instance looking at the chunks in the bottom of the pan it was pretty clear what happened.

Having a failure like you've said 2 to 3 years latter would really suck.

totally know what you mean by that. I know if steve had a ats trans, there would be no way in hell they would have helped him out like mike did.

launchpad

Mar 4, 2011
My truck is nbs 2007.5. Stage 6 w 5 star converter and co-pilot.

Currently no check engine light, but still shifting weird. I bought the truck in Denver, but live in Seattle. It was built at ats, installed somewhere else. The new one anyway, I original ats (the one that failed when I bought it) was done at ats with the truck and everything I believe.

I'm out of town so can't really do much with it right now. I'm not trying to beat up on ats, just want my trans to work. They have be fairly helpful on the phone up to this point, but if I really need to get some tools on it I'm not sure how that owl work.

Even though the trans is damn near new, the warranty doesn't transfer to new owner.

Hoping the tech2 will tell me something.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
So am I reading this correct and this is your second failure? Plus one failed on the previous owner being a total of three ?

DuramaxPowered

Pushing my luck....
Jan 27, 2008
Monroe, MI
my truck had a problem with symptoms pretty much identical to what you are describing. the c3's were totally wasted down to the metal, trans was plugged up with chunks of delaminated clutch material. it was ugly.......

the problem originated from the C3 piston seal (lip) getting damaged on original build (by ME)

Last edited:

launchpad

Mar 4, 2011
Is there a way to cut open a spin on filter, and if I did would it tell me anything? I swapped the spin on 2 weeks ago, wonder if it would indicate anything.

DuramaxPowered

Pushing my luck....
Jan 27, 2008
Monroe, MI
If you don't have the tool to slice the filter open, use a sharp chisel and hammer to cut through the metal without making any metal shavings. Not the ideal way to do it, but it will get the job done. The internal filter will probably have more junk in it though. I'll find the picture of what mine looked like.

launchpad

Mar 4, 2011
I just cut this with a sawzall, not my best work. You can see the yellow, from the new blade. But if you can visually see past all that, I didn't really see any evidence of anything crazy stuck in the filter. Not definitive I guess.

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg