Limp Mode

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Alli won't go into hot mode till the temp gets to 258F. Level should be checked at or around 175F and should be no higher than the middle of HOT grid. Make sure you read both sides of the stick. If one side is lower; use that side as your reference as the higher side will be splash.
Also, the spin on filter is a low pressure filter ( 125psi ) and has nothing to do with heat. If you need to check a filter it should be the sump filter as that's the one that can cause a heat problem.

Great info!!!
Mike to the rescue, again!
:hail:

new york lly

I really do care!!
Feb 8, 2014
Buffalo NY
Hey Andy did your figure out what was causing the high temp issue?? Was towing 15k this week stop & go in mid 20deg temps & tranny didn't get past 145

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
No. Hit 170 on the way home with the grill cover removed, but didn't throw any codes.

Have you checked the trans cooler lines to make sure they're not bent anywhere?

And what does the cooler itself look like? Is it original OEM, have the fins and core ever been cleaned...

I'm just curious cuz a winter grille shouldn't cause you to overheat in 15-25*F weather you probably shouldn't need it at that temp either...more like 10-0*
And I wouldn't think you should be hitting 170* with ambient temps so low without the winter grille, not without trying anyways...

I run the crap outta my rig and with ambient temps hovering in the low 40's I can barely get the trans temps up to 150-160* with my built trans. I also thoroughly clean the coolant stack every year

My system isnt stock tho..
I've got the Mike L cooler and bigger trans cooler lines and a deep pan with the fancy cooling fins, ya know, all that shit that you'll hear doesn't make a difference and is a waste of money...
:rolleyes:

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
I hit a deer back in July or August. Iirc the trans cooler and rad were replaced with brand new OEM units. Intercooler was replaced with a used OEM unit. And trans lines were replaced. I'll have to check the work order when I get home...

new york lly

I really do care!!
Feb 8, 2014
Buffalo NY
I know you need codes to really help. I'm expecting an AutoCal in the next couple days.

Well drained a bit of fluid and it looked good, nice red colour and no burnt smell. Pulled the bell housing inspection cover and torque converter is hot as f*ck. Trucks been sitting now for 3.5hrs, trans fluid is 82* and torque converter is too hot to touch?[/QUOTE

This doesn't seem normal,where your fluid has almost cooled right down yet the converter is smokin hot...even after 3+ hrs in temps in the teens:confused:

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
To cooler line is hot. From cooler line feels cold. If there's a clog in the cooler or line is there anyway to clear it or does it have to be replaced?

LR Pat

DMAXAMUST
Jan 24, 2015
Southeast Texas
Code 0700 just tell the " service eng light to come on " its saying transmission has a problem. It also will through a few other codes, fuel rail pressure, fuel flow. ( thes code show up because it's in limp mode ) It takes a transmission program to find exactly what it is. BUT TRY CHANGING THE EXTERNAL TRANSMISSION FILTER ( I changed my fluid also ) There is several comments that the NSBU switch, was causing the same problem with my truck ! filter restricting the flow, and low flow can = higher temperature.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Bump

To cooler line is hot. From cooler line is cold. Any way to flush out the cooler, rad and lines? Can the "from cooler" line be installed on the "to cooler" port and the "to cooler" line just put in a bucket to see if it pushes anything back?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Code 0700 just tell the " service eng light to come on " its saying transmission has a problem. It also will through a few other codes, fuel rail pressure, fuel flow. ( thes code show up because it's in limp mode ) It takes a transmission program to find exactly what it is. BUT TRY CHANGING THE EXTERNAL TRANSMISSION FILTER ( I changed my fluid also ) There is several comments that the NSBU switch, was causing the same problem with my truck ! filter restricting the flow, and low flow can = higher temperature.

External filter is a low pressure filter and has no effect on trans cooling.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Where is the internal filter it terms of circulation? Does the hot fluid pass through it before it's sent to the cooler? Or does the already cooled fluid pass through?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Where is the internal filter it terms of circulation? Does the hot fluid pass through it before it's sent to the cooler? Or does the already cooled fluid pass through?

The internal filter is pump suction. The fluid in the converter is the hottest fluid in the trans so it exhausts into the heat exchanger in the radiator, then flows to the air to oil cooler and back into the trans lube circuit.
The spin on filter is control main fluid ( 125psi max ) and feeds the solenoids and valve body. It has nothing to do with trans temps.
When checking for cooler restriction; follow the fluid in the cooler line marked OUT on the trans. Check flow to the radiator, then from the radiator to cooler, then out of the cooler. Make sure on '04 and later models you raise the rpm to about 1500 rpm while checking as the G solenoid cuts pressure below 8% throttle and you won't see flow.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Thank you. What's the best way to do this, just crack the connections loose one at a time and see if fluid gushes out? Or shut the truck off and completely disconnect and then start up the truck?