LLY: lifter chatter?

hddieselguy85

Dec 30, 2013
NY
Hi I have an 05 chevy duramax, lly. The other morning I noticed a little chatter in lower rpm when it was down shifting from 5th to 4th on a hill. Then this morning there was a slight chatter at around 2000 rpm but the truck was cold ( it was around 15 out and the truck wasn't warmed up yet) but this afternoon on the way home the chattering was load, iv never heard it like this before, I would only hear it around 2000 rpm again. The truck has only 53k on it as well and I baby it. Theres no tuner and everything is stock but the egr delete kit. I just want to know what could be wrong or is this normal? thanks guys for any help.

Last edited:

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Sounds like your pilot injection may be turning off early. Pilot injection is what makes Duramaxes not sound like Cummins 12 Vs or Furd 7.3s.....

hddieselguy85

Dec 30, 2013
NY
just had an oil change about a month ago, and I checked it and it looks good. Ya I do have a buddy that can read the injectors for me. ill look into the pilot injection as well, thanks guys.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
May want to read up up on "ice pick injectors". You may have an injector plug not making a perfect connection. It's a free thing to try, just takes time. Harness issues are fairly common and can cause some weird noises on 04.5-05 trucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

blitzin247

That didn't sound good...
Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
Also, no one has mentioned it, but sometimes the flex plates break causing noise as well too. I would obviously try all of these other things first because there is only a small chance its the flex plate because its intermittent.