Lift Pump Questions

SmokeAintBroke

<----Not my truck anymore
Dec 29, 2006
I have used the edelbrock 1792 for a while with good luck, until recently. I noticed the other day that it was leaking a tiny bit, looked like around one of the fittings. Come to find out it wasn't.

Its kinda cold here today, like around 25-30 *F. I went to start the truck and the pump made a funny noise like it was struggling a lot. I looked under it and it was leaking out worse than before and i smelled it to make sure it was diesel, which it was. Then a spark flew out of the case where the wires go into it.:eek: No fire, but i was lucky, diesel was all over that thing.

Needless to say it didn't take me long to shut it off. Looks like im going to be in the market for a new pump haha. So from my recent experiences, the 1792's are a horrible decision.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
if it seems you are running into volume limitations of the lift pump, then parallel. I am not familiar with the different pumps, so i don't know if that could be the case. But in series, you won't benefit flow rate much typically (IMO), just the end pressure.

I think if as long as you have a little posistive pressure you are good
the problom i have is not keeping posistive pressure and to me thats not good,its not so to speak that i want lots of pressure ,just posistive

the blue KDs with one pump is 3-4 peak and run another in series is 7-8
taken from a 0-30 psi electric fuel gauge,with just them on i have ran to 0psi at the track right at the 1/8th mile ish mark

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
from my recent experiences, the 1792's are a horrible decision.

Why would you say that? Cause it failed? If a 250$ Lift Pump lasts 2 years versus a 700$ Setup that might last 3 years? Both keep up rail pressure, both are flow through why waste money. I always use this to justify why I use one. "If its good enough for Casper, its good enough for any of our trucks...."

SmokeAintBroke

<----Not my truck anymore
Dec 29, 2006
The fact that it almost burnt my 48000 truck to the ground makes me think the design may be questionable. And this is my second pump, this one was installed for less than 6 monthes. Say what you want

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
The fact that it almost burnt my 48000 truck to the ground makes me think the design may be questionable. And this is my second pump, this one was installed for less than 6 monthes. Say what you want

The seals on the Edelbrock 1792 are not designed for ULSD, the PPE one that I run is supposedly upgraded with different seals. I have never heard of it "sparking" Maybe you didn't hook up the electrical connections secure enough? Or maybe im not understanding your question correctly did the pump inside start to spark? Or what. Sorry im :alcoholic:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
One thing I know about KD Pumps is they are brushless. That is part of the reason why they are so quiet. The PPE and FASS I don't know for sure, but I think they use brushes.
If so, it may have been a short in the armature windings or between the commutator bars that was causing the sparks.

Either way-not good!!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
So I was justing installing a Carter P4600HP fuel pump on an engine at work here today and read the instructions to see what size of breaker I need, and came across something interesting. It says: When using two electric fuel pumps, they should be placed in parallel to give increased volume without excess pressure.
Hmmnn-makes me think even more that the parallel set-up is better than putting two in series. This is a pump used for gasser's I think in performance applications. The box was covered in NHRA stickers.