Lift pump pressure

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Im headed for Vegas and don't have much time to screw around with the truck... Symptoms are as follows anything over 1/8th throttle truck starts to cut out like im giving it no throttle. I have logged rail pressure, when this happens rail PSI drops to 2,000(it was commanding 18k) I just installed a new motor to the pump( old pump was on its way out I thought this was my issue) and when the key is on the run position the lift pump clears the air out and sounds like it always has(makes 12.5 PSI at the filter housing although not much fuel is in the test line) but when I start the truck the pump goes quiet and fuel PSI goes from 12.5(at fuel filter housing) to 0 as soon as the engine starts. Turn off truck turn key back to run, pump stays quiet but gradually gets louder... takes about 10 second for the pump to return to its normal sound. I have also verified that the TPS is OK... My next step is too bypass the tank and run 1/2 fuel line directly to the pump out of a 5 gallon can... I won't have time to do this until next week however. Any ideas?

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
what are you running for cp3's?

I have heard that the dmax dont like anything over 10psi.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
If there are any rubber lines before the pump, check to make sure there not to soft because they could be getting vacuumed flat thus shutting off the majority of the fuel supply. Sounds crazy, but I've seen this. Had to install a thin piece of copper in a line one time to get it home to change out the hose to something tougher.

dmax lb7

EFI Ignorant
Feb 21, 2008
Rohnert Park Nor-Cal
If you have 12 psi with the key on not running and 0 psi after you start it, check that you still have power to the lift pump with the truck running. This could be more of an electrical problem than a fuel problem.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
If there are any rubber lines before the pump, check to make sure there not to soft because they could be getting vacuumed flat thus shutting off the majority of the fuel supply. Sounds crazy, but I've seen this. Had to install a thin piece of copper in a line one time to get it home to change out the hose to something tougher.

X2 I have seen this also...

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
how do I data log?
I think I am loosing fuel pressure but I cant tell. by my edge.

You have to have efi live to do logs. If you have questions about logs go to the efi live section of the forum so that this thread doesn't get derailed.
You can also check your rail pressure with a tech2 or install a gauge, but efi is the only way i know of to do a log

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
If you have 12 psi with the key on not running and 0 psi after you start it, check that you still have power to the lift pump with the truck running. This could be more of an electrical problem than a fuel problem.

X2 sounds like a ground problem.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
how are you getting power to the lift pump? id run a wire from the pump straight to the battery and start the truck and see if the pressure is still dropping. that would rule out having a faulty power source.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Fresh fuel filter no change... It's getting power with the truck on. Going to bypass the tank now

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
Take the suction line and put it into a bucket of fuel. Then run the truck. Also put an inline type pressure gauge in just after the pump and pinch the line just after where you're reading pressure from. See if the pump will still hold pressure or if it slowly drops off. Could be that maybe the pump can't hold pressure once it's put under a load and that's what is causing it to drop off.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Problem solved... I will no longer be running any filtration prepump. AZ is still on :D

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
You have to have efi live to do logs. If you have questions about logs go to the efi live section of the forum so that this thread doesn't get derailed.
You can also check your rail pressure with a tech2 or install a gauge, but efi is the only way i know of to do a log

X2 sounds like a ground problem.

how are you getting power to the lift pump? id run a wire from the pump straight to the battery and start the truck and see if the pressure is still dropping. that would rule out having a faulty power source.

So it was that little filter?

calling you macanudo