LB7: Lift Pump Experience??

SkintBack13

Aug 16, 2010
Niceville, FL
I'm sure that a bunch of you fellers already have lift pumps on your rigs...What was noticed after the install?? More power? better MPG? drivability?? smooothness??

I'm planning on getting one here soon but I'm impatient and just want to know what ya'll have noticed! :thumb:

08whiteout

Feb 22, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
def quicker throttle response and maybe a few better MPG's (2-3). Its also gonna help in the aid of the life of your CP3 by not draining it of fuel when having larger tunes installed. which is what you want. So if your planning on adding power to it anytime soon then this is the first thing I would install, ur gonna need it, hop this helps....

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I have 2 setups:
On BlkMax, I have a PPE with a PPE tank pickup on my LB7. The pump let me run the larger tunes, but I am not in love with the noise of the PPE. The gear pump is REALLY noisy. I also plumbed in a bypass around the pump in case of a pump failure I could still run the truck. Some gear pumps will not allow the truck to run with a pump failure.

On Emma, I have a dual Kennedy pump with a PPE tank pickup, also an LB7. Much quieter, but I have not really twisted up the tunes because of the stock trans. There is no bypass required on the Kennedy pump because it is centrifugal and will flow fuel when the motors are not running.

I have heard that some folks have had troubles with a lift pump and no aftermarket pickup on the LB7's. This guy could not run the truck below 1/4 tank without sucking air. I have never had that trouble because of the tank pickups.

If I was going for a small tune truck, I would stick with the Kennedys because of the noise. If I was running a big tune truck, I would try to find something quieter than the PPE's, but you can not beat the price and flow rates. Others have had issue with the PPE pumps, but mine has been running for 4 years and about 40k miles, my only issue is the noise.

No matter what you do, your CP3 will like you when you add a pump. It is also nice if you can wire in a switch in the cab where you can turn off the pump. This is nice when you are working on the truck and don't have the engine running....It keeps the battery up without pulling a wire off the relay when you are loading tunes.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
def quicker throttle response and maybe a few better MPG's (2-3). Its also gonna help in the aid of the life of your CP3 by not draining it of fuel when having larger tunes installed. which is what you want. So if your planning on adding power to it anytime soon then this is the first thing I would install, ur gonna need it, hop this helps....

quicker throttle response and 2-3mpg increase in economy?????

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
The only thing a lift pump did for me was keep my rails from draining during wot runs. I actually have mine on a toggle switch and only turn it on when I'm playing around or at the track. Ive also heard that a lift pump will help keep you cp3 running good for a long time, I dont know if thats really true or not. My truck has over 200k miles on it with the original stock cp3 and it still holds rail very good and like I said the liftpump is hardly ever on.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'm running a single KENNEDY, and noticed a slightly smoother idle with the pump on, better throttle response as desired VS actual rail stays closer together, but I can't comment on the CP3 lasting longer as i just had to do mine. I will say without the lift pump I couldn't hold rail pressure at all, but with it on it kept it from dropping low enough to code so it must help some as I could immediately when my lift pump relay quit here awhile back.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
95 gallons per hour sounds like a lot, but that works out to only 0.0264 gallons per second. So if you want to run a 13-second 1/4 mile, that means it can only supply 0.34 gallons for the whole run. As you start going faster, you get less and less fuel to do it on!

It takes a lot of fuel to make the kind of power these engines do. It is better to go bigger now, and not have to swap pumps out later.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
No it will not provide the necessary fuel. I can draw a 165 down to zero pressure with 65 overs and duel cp3's.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I had a A/D and fass both coming out of seperate sumps on my fuel cell.
Running a large tune with dual cp3s and 100 overs it drew down to neg 6 psi.

Im now running 2 fuel lab pumps but havnt logged lift pump pressure since.