Lift kits opinions

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
The 7 to 9 Cognito is the best kit that I have put one. Much better steering radius and fine quality.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Cognito makes a great lift no doubt about it, It has some nice options that come with it that the tuff country and Zone lifts do not. For instance the sway bar end link design is a joke with the T.C. lift if you actually use the truck, I broke end links 3 times before ordering the cognito H.D. end link kit and never had another issue on my 05. The 4-6 Cognito on my LML came with those, plus the idler and pitman support kit, I optioned the Fox Shocks and the biggest reason I switched is, I hate looking at the torsion bars hanging below the frame on T.B. drop kits, The Cognito keeps everything tucked up nicely. Further more the front bump stop design of the Cognito actually works! The way T.C. has theres designed your A arms will smack the mounts on the frame first before bottoming out. All of that said I still think for the money the tough country kit is great, very stout and trust me I really put it to the test on my 05,;) I don't think the Cognito is any tougher or more durable but it definitely has some nice advantages, 3 times the price worth IDK :)

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
I think I've almost installed every lift on several models, and sold thousands of Cognito. I personally have a Tuff Country 1pc sub frame 4" and a Cognito 4/6" on my trucks. I've beat the hell out of both. The TC has been on the truck since 08 with hundreds of 1/4mi passes, sled pulls and a few dyno runs, not forgetting all of the street fun. The Cognito has a bunch as well but is a newer kit. Comparing the two, the Cognito rides better, and has a more controlled ride than the TC. Turning radius is about the same. Parts quality and overall package Cognito wins hands down. Both are overall great product, and work well.

dzimbric

Oct 21, 2015
Shallotte, NC
Dustin at Diesel Addiction is installing a Cognito 5-7 inch lift, new 4 inch exhaust, cold air kit and tune. The Ultra Phantom 20 x 9 rims and 35x12,5R20 tires are on order. I haven't been this excited since I was a kid at Christmas. :D:D:D

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Dustin at Diesel Addiction is installing a Cognito 5-7 inch lift, new 4 inch exhaust, cold air kit and tune. The Ultra Phantom 20 x 9 rims and 35x12,5R20 tires are on order. I haven't been this excited since I was a kid at Christmas. :D:D:D
What tires?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
I think I've almost installed every lift on several models, and sold thousands of Cognito. I personally have a Tuff Country 1pc sub frame 4" and a Cognito 4/6" on my trucks. I've beat the hell out of both. The TC has been on the truck since 08 with hundreds of 1/4mi passes, sled pulls and a few dyno runs, not forgetting all of the street fun. The Cognito has a bunch as well but is a newer kit. Comparing the two, the Cognito rides better, and has a more controlled ride than the TC. Turning radius is about the same. Parts quality and overall package Cognito wins hands down. Both are overall great product, and work well.

Russ... What cognito kit would work best to get just a little more lift the factory n b able to lower it down to have flat cv angles for racing and run a 35 inch tire while not at track?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Since we're on the topic. Anyone know if you can fit 37s on a 4-6 lift ? And at what kind of bs and offset.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
On a 4-6" lift, 0 offset wheel will fit 37s. I have 37s on my 6" RCD lift. However, I opened up my front wheel wells much more by putting on front fiberglass fenders. One disadvantage with 37s is when towing heavy, the tires will rub on the bedsides unless you open up the bedside wheel wells more.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Russ... What cognito kit would work best to get just a little more lift the factory n b able to lower it down to have flat cv angles for racing and run a 35 inch tire while not at track?

4" kit would work perfect, that's what I've always used.

Since we're on the topic. Anyone know if you can fit 37s on a 4-6 lift ? And at what kind of bs and offset.

Depends who you talk too..., if you listen to the "I fit 37's on my stock height truck" crowd on another forum, you don't need a lift at all. If you want to be able to actually use the tire and suspension correctly, Cognito recommends a 7-9" package with 9-10" wheel and 4.5-5.0" back space. There are so many tire/wheel fitments that work, just depends what look you are after, and what you can deal with.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
4" kit would work perfect, that's what I've always used.

Depends who you talk too..., if you listen to the "I fit 37's on my stock height truck" crowd on another forum, you don't need a lift at all. If you want to be able to actually use the tire and suspension correctly, Cognito recommends a 7-9" package with 9-10" wheel and 4.5-5.0" back space. There are so many tire/wheel fitments that work, just depends what look you are after, and what you can deal with.

they run s475 fixed vane chargers too that spool just as fast as stock :roflmao:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I was thinking a 20x10 wheel. 5" bs and 0 offset. With 37x13.5.

I can crank it a little higher still. Or add lift keys. I only need like an inch on the fender side to fit. Need to double check my current backspacing. I think it's 4 so the extra inch should help.

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
Cognito 4-6" for sure, had both TBD and NTBD, NTBD looks a lot better. Had 2 LMM's and 1 LBZ with a Cognito 4" lift. I have had both add-a-leafs and deavers, prefer the deavers.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I was thinking a 20x10 wheel. 5" bs and 0 offset. With 37x13.5.

I can crank it a little higher still. Or add lift keys. I only need like an inch on the fender side to fit. Need to double check my current backspacing. I think it's 4 so the extra inch should help.

You will clear just fine with that setup, I have 4.5" bs and 0 offset. You will have rubbing issues with the stock front fender at full lock or flexing. Mine doesn't because of my fiberglass fender, just a little at full lock while flexing from the pinch weld part that I need to shave off.

dzimbric

Oct 21, 2015
Shallotte, NC
Truck is currently in the shop getting a Cognito 7-9 lift, new exhaust, cold air intake and tune. Will be installing 35 inch tires on 20 inch rims this weekend.
I haven't been this excited since I was a kid at Christmas.:rofl::rofl:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You will clear just fine with that setup, I have 4.5" bs and 0 offset. You will have rubbing issues with the stock front fender at full lock or flexing. Mine doesn't because of my fiberglass fender, just a little at full lock while flexing from the pinch weld part that I need to shave off.

Awesome, Thanks! Now just need to find wheels. And tires because neither of the two I want are available bigger than 35.
Truck is currently in the shop getting a Cognito 7-9 lift, new exhaust, cold air intake and tune. Will be installing 35 inch tires on 20 inch rims this weekend.
I haven't been this excited since I was a kid at Christmas.:rofl::rofl:
Sorry for the derail. Post up pics when you get it done!