Lets talk Turbine size and A/R continued

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Not to derail your guys big horsepower turbo talk, but where can i get a bigger exhaust wheel for the stock lly charger?

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Real world examples?

Duramini, Maxxx'd out, RonA's 1st gen cummins...

There are trucks with more power, but probably not many that have ever seen the street and are fed by journal bearing Borgs.

I realize there are exceptions and that's why I didn't make it an absolute statement, but those guys put in the money and R&D to lead the development of street diesels and they run big Garretts for a reason.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Magnus
Yes garrett has some nice stuff.but you have to special order a racing turbo.
The airworks are out of the box
Turbos.
from mobile

Last edited:

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Magnus
Yes garrett has some nice stuff.but you have to special order a racing turbo.
The airworks are out of the box
Turbos.
from mobile

Ok call me crazy but either way you're calling up a company and the turbo you desire shows up at your door right? Yes the Garretts with reduced compressor trims are part of the "racing" line of turbos, but it's not like you have it custom machined or even any mix and match aftermarket pieces... Borg numbers their compressors by inducer size rather than Garrett's method of outer diameter plus a "trim" ratio, but either way it's a standard part and It's still as off the shelf as any other bolt on product as far as I can tell right?

Just REALLY expensive

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
12 weeks lead
Limited parts availability

But you are right garrett makes a very nice turbo and every turbo I have bolted on from the racing lineup really did put it down.

So I see your point.

from mobile

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
I'm really not trying to attack anybody, just saying if we're making an A/R, turbine wheel and spool up thread I think it's worth trying to get some guys with deep pockets and Garrett setups to chip in.

What kind of Garrett setups have you done personally and how was the response?

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Gtx4508r 1.15
Gtx4294 with the special order 2.5" inducer
And now I am waiting on a gtx4708r

I think most of the guys running garrett are doing so in a twin.

We can't forget holset either.

All of the above were very impressive. I did destroy the 4508 though. ......oversped I neded the 1.28 housing.
It spooled up from a boosted launch and drove well. Top end was very impressive.

from mobile

Last edited:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I plan on moving to a S480/87/1.0 from my current S475/83/1.10

I have talked to a few of running the 96 turbine wheel, but feel it is too large for my application.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I had an airworks engineer explain to me that the 87 tw is only down about 2% on flow from the 96.
Howevere the 96 will transfer more energy.
So with the 80 you may notice a lack of boost.
But with a 75mm is not going to require as much energy to turn.

The 1.0 housing will also be somewhat tight so the flow required to spin the 80 may be at higher drive pressure.

Why not start at the 1.25 housing that bw recomends since you are spaying the truck, or try just the 87 tw since the cam and heads are stock?

Without knowing your exact goal I may be missing something. Just kinda throwing it out there.

from mobile

at 5400lbs, my single cab doesn't need as much power as most people do to run fast. example, it took 682rwhp to run 123mph.

I thought the 83 wheel, and 1.10 housing would be enough, but it drives like complete shit, spool sucks for DD (I don't DD it) and it smokes like train on the top end at 50-52psi of boost. I run 2500us on 100% injectors when it trapped 128 on the bottle.

Main reason I want to go to a 87 wheel is slow the shaft down some to reduce drive pressure. I also am running a 1.10 housing on a 83 wheel, my fear is that if I go to a 1.2x on a 87 turbine wheel, it will be even worse.

I went from a .90 AR to a 1.10 ar and it was a very big difference.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Ok I gotcha Brian.
Imho the 87 tw 1.0 will spool better than the 83mm tw now.

But that is keeping the 75mm cw.

Adding the 80mm out front will definately slow it down.

Are you going to loose the bottle?

from mobile