LB7: Leaking oil from intercooler and bellhousing

kenp313

Feb 14, 2016
I recently finnished rebuild ing my lb7 and now have 150 miles on rebuild. I noticed a few days ago that there is an oil leak and is dripping from where the bellhouse meets the rear engine plate. Any ideas of were it could be leaking from

Have another leak that i found yesterday from the intercooler. I blew my driver side (@intercooler) intercooler boot and had to drive it how as is. Now indee a bunch of drips in the drive way.
Thanks in advance for any help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
From your description it's probably the rear main seal. Did you use the proper installation tool?

Your leak out the intercooler is probably from the turbo.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

kenp313

Feb 14, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply. I used the merchant driver tools and the turbo has less than 2k on it. It is a fleece cheetah if that helps at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
What brand rear main seal did you use?

Other things to look for with oil in that area are the oil cooler and if your turbo oil feed comes off the rear of the block. I had a weeping turbo oil feed that ran down and looked like a bad rear main at first.

kenp313

Feb 14, 2016
I believe it was Victor. All seals came from cotnp.

It looks like it is coming from the square hole at the 6 o'clock position of the bell housing

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I believe it was Victor. All seals came from cotnp.

It looks like it is coming from the square hole at the 6 o'clock position of the bell housing

That's the same seal (and store) I used. If you used the seal driver and set the depth correctly, it shouldn't be leaking. I'd look really close for oil leaking near the oil cooler and at the turbo oil drain. Both of those locations will run down and appear to be coming from that hole.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

kenp313

Feb 14, 2016
Going to go out with a flash light and give er a look.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Victor seal are junk lately..I've had a handful or two of them if you tear them apart the glue they use to make them is all over the sealing surface causing them to leak.....I used to use a lot of them.....back to all GM now

kenp313

Feb 14, 2016
Back in from looking. I found oil in my intercooler so I removed the tube from the turbo outlet and and put the truck in high idle........and it was.... oil. !!!! My question is this. How does a turbo with less than 2k take a shit like that

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Rotella 15/40

I meant is it engine or transmission oil.

Post a pic of how much oil is coming from the turbo. Should be pretty clean at 2k. Time for a warranty replacement.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kenp313

Feb 14, 2016
Upon further inspection I'm still up in the air. It's blackish red (possibly front pump seal among other problems )

kenp313

Feb 14, 2016
I'll have to take pics tomorrow. The out let is perfectly clean untill.i high idle it then you can see oil.comming out. The lower d/s cac boot has a nice puddle in it. Is it possible that I have high oil pressure? When I start my truck and drive around its around 65-80 psi on the dash ( 95 -99 degrees outside)

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I've blown up a turbo with less than 5k miles before. Twice. Pushing it too hard will kill the bearings and then blow a shaft seal. Not sure if that happened for you, or just a defect the warranty should cover.

80 PSI is on the high side, but as long as it comes down when the truck warms up, I wouldn't think there is a problem with pressure. If you ran an aftermarket oil feed line, many turbos require a restrictor to prevent pushing oil.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

kenp313

Feb 14, 2016
Oil pressure come down at idle but at around 1500 rpms it's at around 65 or higher at operating temp. I contacted fleece today and they said it's possibly the oil pressure causing it to leak or I need to check for shaft play. I checked the shaft play ..... up and down seemed Normal but in and out was audible then pushing and pulling.
........ also I'm running the supply line that was supplied with the kit