Help: Leaking Coolant!!!! Help!!!

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
Low coolant light came on last night. Check radiator hose and was fine. Topped off and drove home. Today, the entire driver-side undercarriage is covered with dripping coolant. I was told that it could be out of a weeping hole from the water pump? Where the hell is it I'm having trouble knowing what to look for exactly. If it was from that weeping hole, would it look like straight coolant?

MWDHAND

May 10, 2008
Alberta, Canada
My LLY did the same thing. Weep hole did not lead sitting there but would blow the coolant out when driving. Put on a new water pump and problem solved!!!

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
If you change the pump you can avoid pulling the rad, etc if you pull two studs out for the pump to clear. The front damper needs to come off; I think we used an air chisel to loosen the large bolt IIRC. If the rad hose is hard it is probably head gaskets.

Last edited:

eds04max

May 7, 2008
Landis, N.C.
Make sure it's not the aluminum line leaking at the bracket tab. (look just below the FICM). They are somewhat notorious for cracking at the weld-tab.
Goodluck.
Ed.

02duramatic

Feb 5, 2009
curious, what is FICM? I am having same issue with my 02 chevy. i tightend hose clamp but that didnt solve anything, only spews under pressure, sounds like water pump area, i have ruled out hose clamp, my next guess is around the pipe that rises sorta diagnaly from water pump and has a wire on top. there is evidence of what looks like small old leaks around it. i think i added coolant in 2005/6 and then again last year, now it spews, so the old leak evidence explains why i lost coolant and have occasionaly smelled as well, but not any puddles. this week i added almost 1/2 gallon and after minimal driving, light back on. any details or info would be greatly appreaciated. 02 chevy, aproxx 75k

Dazedandconfused

Lost in the diesel smoke.
Jul 26, 2007
Nothern Ky
watch that....when i started smelling it through the vents thats when i stated getting the black coolant bottle and she started eating coolant!

Its went away. I had been loosing coolant for a while and the bottom of the truck was covered. The smell has went away finally. Never smelt anything threw the vents just when i would get out and walk past the front of it.

eds04max

May 7, 2008
Landis, N.C.
02duramatic............FICM= fuel injection control module. It is located on passenger side of engine, mounted over the valve cover toward the front.
The possible leaking aluminum line I was reffering to is just below the FICM, where the weld-tab is on the aluminum coolant line.
It sounds like your problem is likely the water-pump?? Get the truck up to operating temp and look under the truck for the weep hole in the water-pump...........if it's leaking as much as you describe..........it should be easy to see.
Good luck.:thumb: