Allison 5sp: Leaking bellhousing? Maybe?

Xcav8R

Jun 9, 2012
Raymond, Alberta,
Hey guys I am going crazy trying to find this leak. I rebuilt allison and it started leaking a bit. I think it was excess blowing out vent plus it had a constant drip this time(but looked to be gone when I pulled it and did seals). I am running transynd. I took it out once already it was not leaking from convertor seal looked like some maybe from bolt seals. Thought it was seals on pump bolts changed them and the coppers on bottom bolts and the pump body to bellhousing seal(it was weeping from there). Put it back in And still looks like leak at bellhousing(its wet around it) I am running all rubber lines too. Could it be blowing out vent and flipping off front driveshaft to make housing wet? Is it the transynd? Is it my deep ppe pan? Its haunting my dreams lol
Thanks guys Colten

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
I have been there before get ready to pull it once more and finish it. Here's what you'll need to do. Get a tube of permatex gray silicone gasket maker, get a new front pump torque converter main seal, next a pump to bellhousing o-ring its labeled as the larger orange one according to GM. All in all you'll spend $20 on what I'm talking about. Last but not least you'll need the two sandwich gaskets that go on either side of the pump plate in between the bellhousing and the main case. Replace the seal and the o-ring once your done start re-assembly and use the gray silicone gasket maker on each pump bolt with the rubber washer in the head I think there are 12 of them but I may be wrong and there's 13. Re-install and test drive to see if that stops the leak if it doesn't repost here and let me know as I've been down that road before hope this helps have a great day and god bless

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
I know how you feel I got so good @ pullin mine that I could have it out in less than 2hrs and I was using hand tools and a floor trans jack form harbor freight and a 12 pack of coors light lol:thumb:

Jacy_dzlguy

lots to learn...
Aug 27, 2011
South Florida
My brother pulled his a couple times with the same problem and then find sent the convertor in and after 2 hours of looking the found a tiny pinhole :rolleyes: New convertor, no problems..