LBZ water pump time, what all do I need?

07mydmax

Dec 20, 2010
Water pump has been on its way out and looks like its time to make the change. So far I have;

AC Delco water pump with housing, gaskets, and orings.
fluidamper with ARP Bolt
flywheel tool and socket for damper.
upper and lower hoses.
t stats were changed last year. gonna re use those.

what else do I need to consider while there? any front seals or anything behind the damper need to be refreshed? what else should I consider while in there?

Truck has 305k miles on it now.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
You forgot the coolant... :ROFLMAO:

I would do the front seal while the balancer is off. It's not a fun job, But neither is a leak when you are done....

Reactions: 07mydmax

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
36mm 12point for OEM balancer bolt, I have a 3/4" 48" breaker bar to loosen mine when cooling stack is in the way

The 3/8" coolant return line that's right above the fan pulley

Reactions: 07mydmax

07mydmax

Dec 20, 2010
You forgot the coolant... :ROFLMAO:

I would do the front seal while the balancer is off. It's not a fun job, But neither is a leak when you are done....
I went ahead and ordered the merchant seal driver kit with the seals. Watched a youtube......looks like a great time lol!

07mydmax

Dec 20, 2010
36mm 12point for OEM balancer bolt, I have a 3/4" 48" breaker bar to loosen mine when cooling stack is in the way

The 3/8" coolant return line that's right above the fan pulley
that little line has kept me up at night in the past lol! gonna take care of that as well.

also ordered the upgraded auxiliary coolant block off plate.

What about pining the crank?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
If you’re near southern NJ, I have a breaker tool I built, and a crank pinning kit you can borrow too.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well, seems we kinda got away from a “water pump job” lol

For just a pump, change the little bypass hose off the water pump bypass tube as stated earlier. I suggest getting a water pump bypass o-ring that goes on the bypass tube and into the bottom of the thermostats. That one always seems to tear on first timers.

If you aren’t using oem gaskets, thin film of silicone on the both sides of the pump output side gasket is suggested.

If the crank seal ain’t leaking, I wouldn’t change it. Very rarely do the leak. If you do change it, put an oem or mahle seal in there.

No need to pin unless yours is broke or bent.

Everything else is optional.

07mydmax

Dec 20, 2010
Well, seems we kinda got away from a “water pump job” lol

For just a pump, change the little bypass hose off the water pump bypass tube as stated earlier. I suggest getting a water pump bypass o-ring that goes on the bypass tube and into the bottom of the thermostats. That one always seems to tear on first timers.

If you aren’t using oem gaskets, thin film of silicone on the both sides of the pump output side gasket is suggested.

If the crank seal ain’t leaking, I wouldn’t change it. Very rarely do the leak. If you do change it, put an oem or mahle seal in there.

No need to pin unless yours is broke or bent.

Everything else is optional.
Thank you for the input.
I ordered everything last night and hope to have in hand for the weekend. I don't think my front seal is leaking, but I just didn't want to get that far on a Saturday and not be able to finish. I work out of town and I need to be on the road again Monday morning.

Reactions: malibu795

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thank you for the input.
I ordered everything last night and hope to have in hand for the weekend. I don't think my front seal is leaking, but I just didn't want to get that far on a Saturday and not be able to finish. I work out of town and I need to be on the road again Monday morning.

Yeah it ain’t gunna hurt if you got quality seals. It’s just one of those things we could go down a rabbit hole of what to do while your there lol

07mydmax

Dec 20, 2010
Well, I got it all done!, Front seal seemed fine so I left it alone. The parts I thought would be most difficult, actually went pretty good. Harmonic balancer, and Fan assembly came off without issue. The worst part was the coolant pipe from water pump to thermostat housing. I had extra orings for this and glad I had em cause I rolled/cut the first one. Also changed out the lil hose behind the fan pulley. I swear I spent more time dicking with that little hose and the coolant pipe, than anything else on the whole job. Glad its done though. Should be ready for another 300k.

Reactions: malibu795