LBZ Swap Progress

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Well, the swap is ALMOST complete, but I hit one snag.... Didn't realize it, but the water pump outlet on the LBZ is a "bit" larger than the LLY... Is there anything stopping me from putting the LLY water pump on the LBZ? I know physically, it'll fit, and assume the gears are the same.

I haven't started it as it's not quite ready, but I tested the computers, and was able to communicate with everything and din't get any strange codes except one: P2128. I've swapped the LBZ pedal in, and the data in the tech2 shows APP1 0% and APP2 100% at rest. Pushed all the way down, they reverse (APP1 100%, APP2 0%). Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Well, I think I may have figured out the P2128 problem.... The pedal I have is p/n 15107594, which according to compnine is for just about everything 2006/2007 EXCEPT the LBZ :rolleyes:.Why did they have one pedal for the Duramax, and another for everything else?? I don't suppose there's anyone in the STL area that has a LBZ pedal? I THINK This one may work until I can get the right one as it's happy with the APP1 signal.

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Ok.... Well, I now know the LLY pump will not work on the LBZ block... the top bolt "tab" is longer on the LBZ than the LLY (Which also means the LBZ timing cover is NOT the same as the LLY timing cover).

So.... That means I need to get a LBZ lower hose. The next question is on the radiator end.... Is that end of the LBZ hose the same size as the LLY?

Anyone?

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Ok.... Well, I now know the LLY pump will not work on the LBZ block... the top bolt "tab" is longer on the LBZ than the LLY.

So.... That means I need to get a LBZ lower hose. The next question is on the radiator end.... Is that end of the LBZ hose the same size as the LLY?

Anyone?
Negative, Ghost Rider. The LBZ radiator hose uses the goofy quick connect clip thing like the cold side CAC tube connection.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Negative, Ghost Rider. The LBZ radiator hose uses the goofy quick connect clip thing like the cold side CAC tube connection.

Argh! Anyone have any bright ideas that don't involve a LBZ stack? Could I cut off the goofy clip and use a hose clamp on it?

I want to get it running, and at this point, the lower radiator hose and intake tube that we're fabricating are the two holdups that are preventing me from firing it up.

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
No way you can make the LLY pump work?

Don't think so.... I tried. The top mounting tab is shorter on the LLY pump than the LBZ, so it would be held in by two bolts. I thought maybe swap impellers & housings, but the LBZ impeller won't fit in the LLY housing.... sooo...... I'm kinda stuck. I've got a few days to figure it out at this point :( since my friend that's fabbing the EGR delete tube is leaving going out of town for the weekend. I also need to get the correct accellerator pedal. Other than those SNAFU's, it's looking good :thumb:.

Anyone got a good used LBZ lower hose that I could butcher?

Last edited:

Racehemi

Feb 4, 2008
I used my stock LLY hose when I swapped in the LBZ bottom end. I removed the GM clamp and used a standard hose clamp, it was a tight fit to say the least.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You could swap the engine front cover and then be able to run the LLY pump, but it would be a PITA to do it.

braebyrn

Loving the LBZ
Aug 6, 2008
WA
Did you check and see if the fuel gauge is reading correctly? Mine went to full even though the tank is empty:rolleyes:

hoopty_05

Mar 7, 2016
How did things work out with the water pump issue? I am putting an LBZ long block in my '05 LLY and was planning on either stretching the LLY hose onto the LBZ water pump housing or swapping the LLY front cover and water pump onto the LBZ. What did you end up doing? Seems like the LBZ water pump could be an improvement over the LLY pump and help a small bit with the LLY overheating issues, but that is JMHO. :)