LBZ going into my 02

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Yea! I'm gonna give it a go!

I really like that, what I don't like are all those half way conversions that uses half lb7/lly parts and try to incorporate the different computers together. This looks like a really good, cheap, easy way to do it.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I really like that, what I don't like are all those half way conversions that uses half lb7/lly parts and try to incorporate the different computers together. This looks like a really good, cheap, easy way to do it.

Yea I'm really hoping it works out. It sounds very promising. I'll have a thread when I get stared on it all. Still in the early stages.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
It will work. I Told Ben I was going with the LLY and he told me exactly what I need. Send him the harness and ECM for reworkings. I will also need an LLY NSBU. I can maintain the TCM from my 02 no need to change there. I am sending payment for the engine tomorrow and it will be on a palett headed my way.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
It will work. I Told Ben I was going with the LLY and he told me exactly what I need. Send him the harness and ECM for reworkings. I will also need an LLY NSBU. I can maintain the TCM from my 02 no need to change there. I am sending payment for the engine tomorrow and it will be on a palett headed my way.

Did he give you a turn around time on the harness? Just curious

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Did he give you a turn around time on the harness? Just curious

No he didn't. I didn't think to ask. My lb7 is still running strong, I just have one injector past spec and just beginning to put out a slight haze. I'm not going to rush it and make sure I have everything. The goal is to wake up early on a Saturday and have it done that night but you know how that goes.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
No he didn't. I didn't think to ask. My lb7 is still running strong, I just have one injector past spec and just beginning to put out a slight haze. I'm not going to rush it and make sure I have everything. The goal is to wake up early on a Saturday and have it done that night but you know how that goes.

Haha yep I know how that goes..

The truck in getting is blown up and I was just curious of down time.. Which I've got another rig to drive it's just not practical
547beea48a69f1fcc107ad35b7dc1900.jpg

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I pulled mine in after work at 5:30 and drove it home at 3:00 am. That included two injector cups pulling out and dropping the injector bore brush into the cylinder lol

Edit. Sorry that was just injectors, not a top end swap!

orangeastre

Jan 31, 2014
Nova Scotia
That harness is slick, when I put the LBZ/6 speed Allison in my 02 I did a full interior swap. I bought the motor and trans before I figured out what was involved. It took a lot of time and effort to come up with all of the parts to make it work.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
I've been in contact with Ben. I am thinking I may get an LLY instead. I've been weighing the cost/ benefits of the full blown LBZ vs the LLY swap. I'm not overly concerned with having the 6 speed. Also , the biggest reason I was thinking LBZ was improved head gasket design but this motor is an 06 so it could have the old gaskets from what I understand. I know LBZ pistons are a possible issue and I would rather do studs and gaskets than those. Finally, I have a somewhat complete LLY long block in my garage with a cracked piston that has a bunch of spare parts. I'll be calling the guy with the engines in a few minutes and will keep the thread updated.

I would trust an lbz engine with a set of 45% nozzles over a stock lb7/lbz bottom end any day of the week. Think when you break/bend a rod, its gonna likely destroy the block. A piston is a 50/50 chance of scratching the cylinder wall. seen it go both ways

But regardless, Should be a nice conversion.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I would trust an lbz engine with a set of 45% nozzles over a stock lb7/lbz bottom end any day of the week. Think when you break/bend a rod, its gonna likely destroy the block. A piston is a 50/50 chance of scratching the cylinder wall. seen it go both ways

But regardless, Should be a nice conversion.

Valid point but the LLY is costing me about half as much so it was a matter of weighing the options. Lbz's have lost pistons on stock tunes and ANY of them could break a crank on random.

Last edited:

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
So is the trans the main difficulty if you go to a LBZ?

Just have to get the whole transmission with it. You will also have to have the throttle pedal, cluster, and shifter. Ben's harness would be a bit more complex to deal with the tap shifter etc. but he would take care of that.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Also give Russ a call. IIRC, he's done one of these swaps.

I've done a few 01/LB7Y's this way now, instead of the old way. Once Ben proved it could be done I got the itch to figure it out myself. Bens way makes it much easier for sure. I've got an 01/LB7Z coming in on the 1st, guess that will be the last one to figure out.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Yes, my custom harness and ECM programming makes it extremely easy (100% plug and play) to do a "proper" 2004.5-2007 LLY/LBZ swap into an 01-02 truck.

No "halfway/hybrid" hacked setups that may or may not need tons of extra custom tuning to get to run properly.

Keep in mind, the cost includes a complete harness re-furbish too, all new wire loom/tape, clean up, etc. So not only will the LLY/LBZ harness be easy to plug and play into your 01-02, but it will look like new too. :thumb:

Im currently testing my upcoming 01/02-to-2003+ cluster retrofit kit as well...stay tuned. :)

Ben

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Yes, my custom harness and ECM programming makes it extremely easy (100% plug and play) to do a "proper" 2004.5-2007 LLY/LBZ swap into an 01-02 truck.

No "halfway/hybrid" hacked setups that may or may not need tons of extra custom tuning to get to run properly.

Keep in mind, the cost includes a complete harness re-furbish too, all new wire loom/tape, clean up, etc. So not only will the LLY/LBZ harness be easy to plug and play into your 01-02, but it will look like new too. :thumb:

Im currently testing my upcoming 01/02-to-2003+ cluster retrofit kit as well...stay tuned. :)

Ben

Ben what's turn around time on harness on this harness mod? I'm hoping to send you one in the next week or so

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011

Ben

excellant work,,thank you for helping us older trucks out.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ben what's turn around time on harness on this harness mod? I'm hoping to send you one in the next week or so

Generally about 1 week turnaround for these 01-02/LLY conversion harnesses. However Ill be away on vacation the last week in March/first couple days of April, so work will be delayed a bit until I get back to the office.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Generally about 1 week turnaround for these 01-02/LLY conversion harnesses. However Ill be away on vacation the last week in March/first couple days of April, so work will be delayed a bit until I get back to the office.

Sounds good Ben! I'll be in touch !