LBZ going into my 02

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I know this gets old, but if everything goes well tomorrow on the transaction I will have an LBZ/ 6 speed Allison coming my way to get swapped into my 02 LB7. I will be sending the harness, ECM, and TCM to btdiesel to get re-worked. The guy has the whole truck and he wants me to make a complete list of everything that I need to get it right the first time. I'm thinking:

-Engine complete with ECM, accessories, boost tubes, intake, coolant hoses and wiring harness.

-Transmission with wiring harness and TCM

-Throttle pedal

-Cluster (May not need it for now but btdiesel is working on a fix for making that work according to their site).

I'm racking my brain to make sure I get everything. Anything I'm missing? Should I get the fan/shroud/rad or stick with the LB7's?

lb7gmc

Feb 26, 2015
Alabama
would love to stay updated on this plan to know how much it ends up running you, thought about doing this later down the road myself.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Subd.. Doing this in the very near future. Like couple weeks from now. Lbz into a zf 02

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
2001/2002 and they are not plug and play. 2003 and up are mostly plug and play. I did an 02 with a LBZ swap and the wiring is not easy. Ben may have a simple fix though.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
2001/2002 and they are not plug and play. 2003 and up are mostly plug and play. I did an 02 with a LBZ swap and the wiring is not easy. Ben may have a simple fix though.

Ben offeres a plug in play harness. That's what I'm going with. I should have been more exact in my statement

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I've been in contact with Ben. I am thinking I may get an LLY instead. I've been weighing the cost/ benefits of the full blown LBZ vs the LLY swap. I'm not overly concerned with having the 6 speed. Also , the biggest reason I was thinking LBZ was improved head gasket design but this motor is an 06 so it could have the old gaskets from what I understand. I know LBZ pistons are a possible issue and I would rather do studs and gaskets than those. Finally, I have a somewhat complete LLY long block in my garage with a cracked piston that has a bunch of spare parts. I'll be calling the guy with the engines in a few minutes and will keep the thread updated.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I've got a 100% complete lmm engine with a 366 on top sitting on a stand waiting on an lbz harness and ecm.. Then it's going in the 02 as soon as I get it and do a couple other things under the hood while the engine is out.

Getting pretty excited about this project. Should make a good daily driver/ tow pig.

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Yeah I was curious how this was going to work, not saying its impossible but a lot more involved than the 03+, keep us posted :thumb:

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm going LLY. Much less money and I think I can make a lot back with my LB7 motor. I'll have spare parts for the LLY this way including a turbo and heads. I'll be throwing in an LBZ mouthpiece and profab egr delete tube before the motor goes in. I'll be using the LB7's passenger up pipe for a nice factory looking delete.